Virtual PC For Mac Version 7......please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MindOfUltimate1, Jan 17, 2008.

1. MindOfUltimate1 macrumors newbie

I have recently got a Virtual PC for my mac so I could run Visual Studio2005(for a class im taking). I need some sort of direction other than what it tells me in the installation instructions.
    The manual says it requires Mac OS X version 10.2.8 (Jaguar) or 10.3.x (Panther). I run Leopard.... after that i have no clue... Please help

2. Queso macrumors G4

Leopard is later than either Jaguar or Panther, so that's fine. However, Virtual PC only works on PowerPC Macs. If you have an Intel model it won't run, in which case you can either run Windows natively in Boot Camp, or in a virtual machine with Parallels or VMWare.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I have no experience with virtual pc but you could run bootcamp on a intel mac or have you tried looking at either parallels or fusion

4. MindOfUltimate1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a PowerPC... is there anywhere to find some screen shots?

5. Queso macrumors G4

Not that I know of, but I used to use that quite a lot on my PPC iMac so may be able to help. What's the problem?

6. MindOfUltimate1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hold on ill reload and see what i can come with...if your willing to help

7. MindOfUltimate1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The Startup Items folder (“/Library/StartupItems/”) does not have the proper security settings.To fix the security settings, click Fix. To skip using items in this folder and show this message again, click Decide Later.
    ???

8. Queso macrumors G4

That's so that the Virtual PC menu will integrate with the Dock icon. It isn't essential for the running of the software, and may not work with Leopard because of the difference in the way the Dock is called. Does it give you the option of not bothering at all? Or is that what the Decide Later button does?

9. MindOfUltimate1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have got around all those things now.... this is the part that im stuck on.....

It says that the next step is to either import an existing virtual disk image or create a new one with installing an OS?

10. Queso macrumors G4

If this is the first time you've used VPC, you need to create an image by installing an OS. Do you have a Windows install CD to hand?

11. MindOfUltimate1 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. MindOfUltimate1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The only thing i have is the virtual pc disk and the other program that i want run

13. Queso macrumors G4

Ah. OK, that's a bit of a show stopper for Visual Studio. You need a find a copy of Windows, preferably XP. You then create a virtual disk image, which is a file on your OSX drive that contains the Windows volume. When prompted, you insert the Windows disk and it installs it to the virtual disk image as it would to a PC.

If it were an Intel model I would suggest Linux and Wine, but you'll find that to be painfully slow in Virtual PC. You need a copy of Windows sadly.

14. MindOfUltimate1 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok... well that wont be hard. There are pluses of being a student, and free software is one of them.
    Thank you for your help.

15. Queso macrumors G4

No worries. I'll stay subscribed to this thread in case you come up against something else.

16. BDK1022 macrumors newbie

idk where you go to school or anything, but when I took a programming class in college last year, we could join the MSDNAA for free and get free copies of vista, xp, visual studio, and a few other apps. You might want to look into that before you buy anything.

17. MindOfUltimate1 thread starter macrumors newbie

alright! Its a new day, and I have picked up XP. I have tried to follow the directions that were given and still doesnt seem to like me. Im stuck at a black screen that reads "OS not found, Install an OS on the harddrive" what next?

18. Queso macrumors G4

Stick in the XP CD. Virtual PC should pick it up. If it doesn't, go to the Drives menu and select Capture CD.

Then once it's found the disk, select Reset from the PC menu and you should be off. Once it's finished installing, don't forget to install the Virtual PC additions drivers, which will allow the virtual machine to communicate with the host Mac (Install Additions on the PC menu).

19. davidpeele macrumors newbie

@MindOfUltimate1

How did you get past:

"The Startup Items folder (“/Library/StartupItems/”) does not have the proper security settings. To fix the security settings, click Fix. To skip using items in this folder and show this message again, click Decide Later"

I have been trying to install VPC7 for some time now and cant get past the restart. I get the same message. I have tried every option. I have even used disk utility to try to fix the disk permissions after the VPC install but before the first reboot. that didn't work either....

Here is my story:
    I have a PowerBook G4 that I bought new a few years ago with OS X 10.4
    I successfully installed VPC7 and have been running it for a long time.
    I decided to upgrade all my Macs to OSX 10.5. On the PowerBook i wanted to do a clean upgrade so I wiped the HD.

Then I could not install VPC7 on 10.5 (I was getting the "startup Items" error) I thought it must just be 10.5 so I went back to 10.4 using the disks that came with the powerbook for a factory new system. well I still get the same thing with 10.4.

Should I do the software upgrade to get 10.4.1 or .2 or whatever is the latest?
    Anyone else have the problem?

Thanx
    Dave

20. davidpeele macrumors newbie

I just wanted to bump this thread up....

I hope someone out there knows the answer to this problem. I switched to Mac 3 years ago and this is the first issue that wasn't easy to fix.

or does anyone have any thoughts at to where I could look for a workaround of fix?

Thanks
    Dave