Virtual PC for my MBP ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by igmolinav, Apr 6, 2011.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

After having had an ibook G4 for six and half years, I got this time a much needed 13" MBP. However, as I wanted to install the old Virtual PC for PPC computers, I realized that there is not a version for Intel Macs.

I used the Virtual PC for several dictionaries that can only be installed and used on a Windows enviroment. I used, if I am not mistaken, Windows 2000 and Windows XP with the Virtual PC on my ibook.

Thank you, very kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

2. Tonepoet, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

Tonepoet macrumors regular

The simplest solution here seems to be getting another V.M. that's compatible with your new computer. Have you considered VirtualBox? It's built specifically for the intel architecture and it's free. I haven't used it myself yet but even if you only get what you pay for, your dictionaries probably aren't the most resource intensive apps. on the market to care for the difference. Worth a shot at the least, right? Might run better anyway since there's no need for an intel emulator too. Hope it helps.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You can use Boot Camp, which will run Windows natively on your Mac as a dual boot, or you can use a variety of virtualization software, such as Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion, which are paid, or VirtualBox which is free. I'd probably recommend VirtualBox so you can run your OS X and Windows concurrently, and it sounds like you don't need anything too fancy.

4. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you : ) !!!

I think I'll be getting Virtual Box, and I'll try to see where I left that old copy of Windows XP to install it to Virtual Box. Let's see how it goes. I'll keep you posted!!!

Very kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!