Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdetry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Barcelona
I am planning to Switch (upgrade) from PC to Mac but I still need to run some PC programs.

The only thing I hear about Virtual PC is that it´s terrible slow.

I am planning to put 2 Gigas of ram on my new Imac 20".

1 giga dedicated to the Virtual PC.

Does anybody has an experience if by doing this I should see a lot of performace Gain on Virtual PC?

I´am not planning to run games just normal applications (some design an graphics) but I need to run them on PC envieroment to ensure compatibility.

Thanks in advance for advice.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
There have been conflicting opinions about the new version of Virtual PC (version 7.0)...some say it's a lot faster than before (but still fairly slow), others say it's just as slow. The 20" iMac is a very fast computer, and the 2 GB of RAM will definitely help, but you can't set aside 1 GB for VPC, as VPC only allows you to allocate up to 512 MB for the PC environment.

If you really need performance in PC apps through Virtual PC, you might be out of luck. But if you don't mind giving it a shot, and perhaps willing to deal with some slow graphics, go for it.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
mdetry said:
I am planning to Switch (upgrade) from PC to Mac but I still need to run some PC programs.

The only thing I hear about Virtual PC is that it´s terrible slow.

I am planning to put 2 Gigas of ram on my new Imac 20".

1 giga dedicated to the Virtual PC.

Does anybody has an experience if by doing this I should see a lot of performace Gain on Virtual PC?

I´am not planning to run games just normal applications (some design an graphics) but I need to run them on PC envieroment to ensure compatibility.

Thanks in advance for advice.

What graphics programs do you need to run on the PC side? Chances are it's something that requires a lot of power - meaning it's probably going to be ridiculously slow.

My guess is that you'll be better off designing in OS X. Then you can test the file (or whatever you need to do) in Virtual PC to ensure compatibility.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Yeah, what programs are you going to need that you can't run in OS X?

Lee Tom

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, seriously. Just keep your PC as well. You don't NEED to throw it out, although I wouldn't shed a tear if you did. ;)

For programs like MS Access, I can understand the need for VPC, but what graphics app is absolutely necessary on a PC? There must be a Mac equivalent. Oh, and VPC runs decently for everything other than graphics related apps (Photoshop or games).

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
keep the pc and remote desktop into it, i can do that at school to a pc i set up in a class room with a sticker saying dose not work with the moniter disconnected dedicated to playing counterstrike, i acsess it with my ibook over wireless with the school's T1 connection with remote desktop with is free from micro$oft the pc just has to run xp pro of 2k pro.

mdetry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Barcelona
Remote Desktope will Do it

I have to Test Illustrator / Quark files for Compatibility (specially fonts,etc)

I think the best way will be with Remote Desktop. I have used Remote Desktop for PC to PC and it´s perfect for what I need and I expect it should work as well in MAC.

Thanks for advice.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Remote Desktop rocks. I really like it better than Virtual PC for performance reasons. And I don't use any of my Mac hard drive space except for the program, or memory, and CPU time.

Virtual PC still is the best if you want to have multiple O/S's and at the same time and have the ability to easily reimage a drive and share your existing hardware and don't have to space for an extra PC. And if you have a laptop and not on a network to connect to your PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.