Virtual PC V7 standalone

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dr. Dolittle, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Dr. Dolittle macrumors newbie

I just bought this on ebay. Presumably it will not come with any applications. What should I get and is it free anywhere?

Thanks in advance for your help

I now understand I need an operating system. What is best, where do I get it and is it Free?

2. Dr. Dolittle thread starter macrumors newbie

21 views but no answers yet - please help

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You would need to buy a copy of Windows to use that.

Virtual PC allows you to run Windows on top of OS X on PPC machines, it does not work on Intel based computers.

Once installed and you have loaded Windows (sold separately) you can install any Windows application on it like you would any other Windows machine. Keep in mind though it will be slow so any program that takes some power or is graphics heavy will be unusable.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I have a copy of VPC7 that I got with my G5 iMac three years ago, and it was appallingly unusable. Simply the worst virtualization I've ever seen, and even non-graphics intensive apps (Word, Excel, Quicken, etc.) were painful.

As has been noted, if you have an Intel Mac it will not work, use Parallels/VMWare, or Boot Camp. In all cases (including VPC) you'll need a copy of Windows.

5. Dr. Dolittle thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a G4 PowerBook with Leopard. Can I get a copy of Windows anywhere Free?

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Unless someone gives it to you as a gift, no, not legally.

7. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

if you have an intel mac you are much better off with parallels or vmware. vpc isn't the snappiest app in the world.