virtual PCs on my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aicul, Mar 25, 2014.

1. aicul macrumors 6502a

Normally I write questions, this time around its about being impressed.

For work I need a windows-PC so I use virtual machines (either parrallel or VMware as I have both licenses).

At this very moment my iMac has 6 VM running ! And the throughput is decent.

Don't think a lot of hardware could handle this type of load with off-the shelf equipment.

:)

ps. the iMac is a 1st gen 27" iMac with i7 and fusion drive

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sure it can, because the internals of the iMac are in fact typical off the shelf components.

I built a PC a few years ago that handled multiple VMs.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble just state that while the performance of the iMac is great, its not out of the norm to other desktops

3. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

Must have a lot of ram. Very good. VM is a much better way of doing things than bootcamp.

4. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

the fact is that "other" desktops are sold impressively cheap, hence I question the "norm to other desktops" statement as being truly reliable.

i'd rather buy something I can use, then something I can upgrade. But that's me

5. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

First generation 27" iMac with i7 was the late 2009 series of iMacs. Did you add your own Fusion drive?

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I think the OP meant the first generation of the anorexically-thin iMacs (i.e. the 2012 ones) :D