Virtual screen space

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iEatfood, May 26, 2007.

1. iEatfood macrumors newbie

Sorry, I don't have an application to show you.

What I do have is a suggestion.

I was playing with ctrl+scroll and thought that a great app to have would be a giant screen, with shrunken resolution, so I could fit a 2400x1600 screen on my Macbook, and use the mouse following zoom to navigate around it. It could be like conjoined "spaces" with no real barriers between the screens.

(try ctrl scrolling, if you don't know what I'm talking about)

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It would look dreadful...just look how much better a larger font size is than ctrl+scrolling a small font...

3. iEatfood thread starter macrumors newbie

If you zoom in 4x on a screen that's 4x the size of your screen, you'll be at 1:1 scale resolution. it would look like a normal screen that you could zoom around.

4. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

That seems really counter-productive. Half your time would be wasted scrolling around a screen.

Spaces provides basically the same solution to the "problem" but is much more practical.

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Actually, I believe this is may be a feature of resolution independence. If I'm understanding the user correctly, this would be similar to how when F9 shows all your windows at once, they all get smaller but you can still see them.

FYI, Ctrl-Scrolling is a key command, and you can turn it on and off in System Preferences. Me, and others that I know, turn it off (usually the first day of getting a new Mac) because it gets awfully annoying. Just like the annoying black Voiceover boxes when you hit Command + F5. I always shut that "feature" off instantly.

Picture 1.png

6. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I actually think that's a very interesting idea, but it would only work in certain instances, like if you had a million files to deal with visually. For daily use, it'd be more inconvenient than effective.

7. bnwklr macrumors newbie

This would be extremely cool -- especially for multi-touch.

I love the idea of being able to zoom in and out to different places, as though my desktop was a huge Google Maps-like surface!

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This actually works surprisingly well in Safari on the iPhone. They've already got some type of res independence on for the font and other html elements on the phone and combined with multi-touch it's amazingly easy to use.

On a full size computer however, spaces is a LOT more efficient. This idea works well on a small screen with limited space but isn't needed for a larger display.