Virtual Snow Leopard on Mini 2011

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Fozziebear40, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Fozziebear40 macrumors regular

Fozziebear40

Hi
    I need Leopard / Snow Leopard running on a new Mini for 1 application. I know it is possible to install Snow Leopard on the Mini's but it runs slowly etc. so that is not an option. I want to run it as a VM.

I have a Leopard VM running on Parallel's on my current MacBook Pro (2006). Will this VM run on the new Mini under Lion with all the new hardware etc. (I won't need it to recognise Thunderbolt etc.)

Parallels 7 is out for Lion. Cheers

2. mdgm, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

mdgm macrumors 6502a

I believe on the Server versions of Leopard and Snow Leopard can be virtualised under the EULA.

3. Fozziebear40 thread starter macrumors regular

Fozziebear40

Yes I have the server version already virtualised, running fine under parallels but on old hardware. Has anyone tried on a new Mini which only runs Lion.

4. nzreg macrumors member

Perhaps the new Parallel's 7 soon to be released will run it.
    Its claimed you can run another copy of Lion on the same machine, who knows.
    Please keep us posted if you have any luck with this.

5. MJL macrumors 6502a

If Parallels is anything like VMware (which I've used under Windows) then you can use the existing VM on another machine, no need to reinstall. With VMware there is some "upgrade" facility which means that if a newer version of VMware is out then you can "upgrade" the VM to the latest version for improved performance / functionality.

6. adrianparallels macrumors newbie

adrianparallels

You can only install Lion as a Guest OS in Lion.

7. Fozziebear40 thread starter macrumors regular

Fozziebear40

If you were running Lion why would you want to Guest it? I thought you could have Snow Leopard Server?

Anyway why don't Apple make Snow Leopard run properly on the new Mini? I remember buying a Windows laptop for a colleague. Windows 7 was out but you could get an official downgrade to Windows XP.