Virtual storage options

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by soundklinik, Jan 27, 2015.

1. soundklinik macrumors member

As far as I know the options are icloud, and dropbox.

Both are useless for me.
    Cloud doesn't let me use wav or aiff files. But price is good, 0.99c for 20GB

Dropbox does wav, but the only option I found is 1TB for $6.99 a month...LOL, thanx but no thanx...(can't find smaller size~20GB)

What else is there that lets me USE wav, aiff, mp3 files back and forth and is affordable?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

2. wolfaaron macrumors regular

There is also Google Drive and OneDrive. Pogoplug might also be an option for you.

3. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

4. Eau Rouge macrumors regular

You can also get the 100Gb OneDrive free for a year with Bing rewards.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

What's "affordable"? Don't just assume that your notion of the word is universal. If $6.99 isn't affordable then what amount is affordable?

6. soundklinik thread starter macrumors member

Let me break it down for you takeshi...$7 a month makes ~$84 a year (cost of a WiFi HDD) for virtual storage I can not use. 1TO!!!...yo, I am not an enterprise, do you need to rent an entire parking complex for your car, or is a single garage enough for you?...GET IT?

It's just another way for Dropbox to say bend over boy...:mad:

Otherwise, thank you all for replies, the "one storage" looks great, just what I need...
    Have a good evening;)

7. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

I find all the complaints about Dropbox's 1TB of storage hilarious. Until a few months ago, Dropbox was offering only 100 GB for the same price, and then they increased it by a factor of 10. Now it seems like more people complain about the price.

It's like if you were happily renting a single parking space, then the landlord came and said they were just going to go ahead and give you the entire parking garage for the same price, so you immediately turn around and demand he instead give you the same space for half the price.

$7 a month is basically the minimum value at which Dropbox feels it can make a profit on its service. Increasing the cost of storage most likely has minimal effect on their actual costs - storage is cheap, most people don't use the full 1 TB, and they deduplicate data across accounts so a lot of it is only stored once. They don't feel they can decrease prices, so they're instead increasing the value of their service. It's a flat fee for what in most cases amounts to unlimited storage. If $7 is more than your can afford to pay, fine, but don't complain because Dropbox gives you TOO MUCH space…

8. wolfaaron macrumors regular

Didn't they used to have several tiers of storage? I know that if they had lower tiers rather than 1tb or nothing, I would pay money instead of staying on their free tier. It doesn't make sense to me but if they feel it's more profitable that way then it probably is because they're doing great.

9. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

They did, but then they just did away with them all and made it 1 TB for the price of the cheapest tier. If you had the lowest tier of paid service, you kept paying the same amount for 10 times the space. If you had any higher tier, you got to pay less for way more space. When I signed up for Dropbox, the lowest tier was 50 GB, which was the same price as the 1 TB tier is today. So in the years I've had Dropbox, my bill has stayed the same, but my storage has increased by a factor of 20.

It's just funny, because back when it was 100 GB as the starting point it seemed like almost no one complained about the price, but since they've increased storage, all of a sudden people feel like they're getting ripped off because they're somehow paying for more space than they need, when there have been zero price increases.

10. wolfaaron macrumors regular

I guess people don't like the lack of choices given that most other cloud companies offer tiers based on price and storage (giving people a choice) and Dropbox switched to a subscription base instead of tier based.