Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you use

• Parallels

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Crossover

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • VirtualBox

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Bootcamp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

DeafRaiders

macrumors regular
Original poster
How many of you use for displaying Windows..... I am currently using Parallels but have to pay for upgrade everytime i new version comes out. I often convert video for my ipad on Freemake Video converter.

Freemake is easy to use, faster and can resize the subtitles like no other application can do.... often causes some problems using it on virtual in Parallels.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't use Crossover, I found it lacking in compatibility with the apps I need.

Instead I use VMware Fusion, a solid product that works very fast, though you'll need a copy of windows of course.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I use Parallels. Yes it is pricey to upgrade all the time. Would be nice if the cost to upgrade was a little more reasonable.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
OP, why did you omit VMware Fusion in your poll? I see a number of different selections but the two most popular virtualization apps (AFAIK) are Fusion and Parallels. You got Parallels, but not VMware?

Plus I use a combination of options, i.e., bootcamp and VMware. The great thing about VMware and Parallels is you can use your bootcamp partition as your guest OS, no need to reinstall the OS and apps in a VM when the app will use your existing bootcamp setup

Cythth

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
Lake Jackson, TX
Why is VMWare not even included in this poll? It like having a poll for which car manufacturer you like most and leaving out Toyota!

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I'm using a combination of VirtualBox and Crossover:
Irfanview and MSPaint run good on Crossover,
TotalCommander does not and is better run from VirtualBox.
;JOOP!

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
OP, why did you omit VMware Fusion in your poll?
Because he clearly doesn't understand what virtualisation is. None of the entries in the poll will "display Windows". Also the term "virtual windows" means something entirely different: spaces (which is now part of Mission Control).

If we are talking about virtualising Windows (the OS) then there are only 3 applications: VMware Fusion, Parallels Desktop and Oracle Virtualbox.

If we are talking about running Windows on a Mac then there are two options: native via Boot camp or virtualised.

If we are talking about running Windows applications there are also two options: by using Windows (native or virtualised) or by WINE/Crossover (which is basically Windows library so OS X or Linux or any other OS it runs on will be able to run Windows apps natively).

I think the OP probably wants to know what people use to run Windows applications on their Mac(s). I like to use it in a confined environment and thus use virtualisation (VMware Fusion to be more specific). WINE/Crossover is an option if it weren't for the .NET apps that mostly won't run with WINE/Crossover.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I didn't include VMWare has I installed that a while ago and had loads of issues with it.

But you're asking what others use and its the number 1 (or number 2) virtualization application. Seems kind of odd to ignore such a major player.

As for issues, I've used just about every version and found it to be very stable - but that's a story for another thread.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I agree with maflynn.
Even if a product has issues, no reason to hide it from others,
issues might be person/situation related.
;JOOP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.