VirtualBox for IE? - (development)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mcman77, Feb 11, 2013.

1. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

Need to run IE on a mac for web development purposes.

Has anyone tried to run VirtualBox and the IEVMS offered my microsoft?

Can be found here

Are there any alternatives?

Thinking about installing windows xp instead of just installing the IE version and running through VB.

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

No problem. You can run IE in a virtualbox inside any number of Windows OS's. If you want more recent updates, you are better off with Windows 7 than XP which requires that badly broken MS Genuine thing to work in order to get rudimentary security updates.

I have both XP and 7 running in Virtualboxes. I set them to run out of variable size virtual drives. XP wastes the most room on my Macintosh HD (roughly 14 GB) because it needed so many updates just to get it up and running with a modern browser. I was saving snapshots in case I had to roll back. Then I went and did a dumb thing. I activated it before taking the time to go back and delete all that cruft so I'm stuck with a 14 GB virtualbox for XP (unless I want to roll the dice and try to activate again using the same key number... we all know how that sometimes works.)

And yes there are alternatives like Parallels or Vmware both of which are not free. There is also the shareware Crossover (based on wine) which wastes the least amount of disk space and can run IE inside OSX. I don't trust this method as all the latest IE updates fail to install on Crossover.

4. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

IE 7, 8 and 9.

Thanks so much for this. Do you have the whole operating system installed or just the IE versions?

Also does windows 7 require a normal serial key - purchase?

I am not sure which to do as I will be needing a reliable testing method and soon.

The link I provided in the first thread is free but I need to know that it is reliable.

Lastly does it take much time to jump in and out of windows through the virtual box for testing?

Thanks again!