virtualbox hates USB

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mentaluproar, Mar 29, 2012.

1. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

The latest version of Virtualbox seems to have a glitch which prevents me from connecting a USB hard drive to a virtual machine (in this case, windows XP). It seems that OSX has doesn't want to hand off the USB adaptor to virtual box. Filters are ignored. So OSX sees the drive and complains about not recognizing the partition table, I click eject and when Virtualbox tries to claim it, it immediately fails and hands the device back off to OSX, which, having just been told to eject the device, simply ignores it. I can't find any workaround for this.

I've noticed more problems with virtualbox ever since Oracle gutted Sun Microsystems. So it seems I have 4 options:

1. Encounter someone who knows of a magical workaround.
    2. Find an alternative virtual machine host that can read .vdi images. The challenge: My budget.
    3. Find an alternative to my windows-only program. In this case, the program is WinHIIP. Since the playstation homebrew community isn't exactly crazy about developing on OSX, my options are very limited there. (Calm down. This isn't a pirate post. I have the actual game. My PS2 just has a tendency to nom on discs, and softmodding it is more advantageous than figuring out what's really wrong with the drive anyway.)
    4. Go back in time and shoot the guy who thought "Hey, lets buy up and gut Sun Microsystems." Sadly, Time Machine lacks the ability to send humans back. Oh well, maybe it will be in Mountain Lion.

Any help?

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

How about using an older version that doesnt have this bug/feature?

3. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

honestly, I can't remember how long ago this began. I'm one of those users who foolishly update whenever I notice one is available and I just pulled the PS2 put again.