Resolved VirtualBox under Yosemite

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Merode, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Merode, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014

Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

I've just recently updated from 10.9.5 to PB5/GM candidate 2.0. I've tested all my apps for compatibility and all seems fine but VirtualBox.

On Mavericks if I went to full-screen mode (host + F), the virtual machine occupied seperate desk/workspace and I could easily three-finger swipe back to my OS X desktop.

Now it seems that behaviour changed to going fullscreen on the same desktop/workspace (just like iPhoto slideshow, I guess).

This thread is just to confirm if it's not just me. If it's working as it should for others, I'll try fiddling with it. I just don't want to waste time on something that is not working for anybody.

EDIT: The easy workaround is adding new desktop, moving VB window there and then going full-screen. Works just like under Mavericks.

2. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

There was an early-on issue with VirtualBox at the time of Mavericks release last fall. Hopefully VirtualBox will be a little more pro-active to update before Yosemite comes out.

Utility software on a Mac is inherently a minefield issue during OS upgrades. It's up to the developers (VirtualBox, in this particular case) to stay current with timely, compatible releases.

It's not like Apple just plops down a brand new OS X version upgrade without any fair warning. That's for sure.

3. Merode thread starter macrumors 6502

Merode

I agree with you on that.

I just wanted to find out if it's not something specific to my installation. Maybe VirtualBox got corrupted during OS update?

I don't want to reinstall it without first confirming that other people don't have that issue.

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

I got so frustrated with VB relative to Yosemite a few days ago, opted instead of using my old free Parallels 8 license to get a copy of Parallels Desktop 10.

I wish you luck, my best experience with VB was deleting it and all of its support files from my rMBP - not worth the cost of future therapy for me, and Win 7/8.1 are working smoothly again.