VirtualBox, Vista, won't read cd's/dvd's

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by drewblay, Dec 28, 2008.

1. drewblay macrumors newbie

I successfully installed windows vista with VirtualBox. But when I insert a cd/dvd vista doesn't think anything is in the drive. I already have tried turning cd/dvd sharing on in the MacOs Preferences. Anyone run into this before?

2. chscag macrumors 65816

Do you have all the VirtualBox guest tools installed? When you display the hardware tree in Vista does the CD\DVD drive show up? Drivers?

Check out the above and post back.

Regards.

3. allsecur3 macrumors newbie

Im not familiar with virtualbox but I think there is a functionality of capturing the physical drive... explore it. :)

good luck

4. drewblay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help guys. I figured it out. It was pretty simple really, I had never used VirtualBox before and assumed that Windows would take care of figuring out when I put in a cd but you need to go in to the VirtualBox program once you have started a virtual machine and from the toolbar go to Devices/Mount CD/DVD-ROM. Now I can install Quicken :) With any luck Quicken Financial Life for Mac won't be a piece of crap and will actually be released sometime in 2009. Then I won't have any need for Windows at all.

5. Jinjin88 macrumors newbie

Virtual Box doesnt recognize CD/DVD

Hi, I have the same problem, but can't find the tab Devices in Virtual Box. I use Windows XP Home Edition. Would appreciate help!