Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
A bonus for Parallels was that I was able to import my VirtualBox Win7 VM. It was fast quick and easy. Fusion 3 I wasn't, or at least I couldn't see where or how (yes I did look around and try). So I had to do a complete Win7 install, also installing the programs I use like Excel, Word, etc..... :^(
Actually that is quite simple (you may even be ashamed after reading how simple :p). Simply click on the "Import an existing virtual machine." link in the virtual machine library (I believe this is one of the first things you'll see when starting Fusion the first time) or go to File > Import.

On VirtualBox and Fusion 3 this wasn't the case. I could opt to share that one folder only. Better for my heart and mind security wise.
Check out the vm settings, Parallels 5 has an option to isolate the vm. Checking this checkbox this will disable any folder sharing and drag & dropping for the vm. If you want to keep the drag & drop ability you can disable folder sharing. Parallels in that regard has quite some security settings you can use. However, it becomes a bit different when you're looking at the architecture of the Parallels and Fusion software. They way Fusion handles things provides for more security.

However I really like Parallels GUI and their coherence mode is AWESOME. I can access the Win7 start menu from my dock (cool as hell). Wayyyyyyy better than Fusion's Unity mode.
I actually dislike Parallels with this. Yes they have a smoother Coherence mode but VMware can fix this in Fusion updates. The problem lies in how Parallels does Coherence and the many modes it has. You have Coherence and Crystal which are like 99% the exact same thing with just the difference that with Crystal some stuff will end up in some menubar icon. That menubar icon is only used for the Crystal mode, it is useless for anything other. The problem I have is the unnecessary amount of modes (windowed, fullscreen, coherence/crystal is enough) and the fact that you have to look at 2 places for stuff: menubar and some folders/icons in the dock. In Fusion this is done a lot better because you only need to look at the menubar icon. You can access the start menu from the dock icon if you want but you'll miss out on the other options (like the ones on the View menu). If you hate the menubar icon you can hide it (option is in the vm settings).

However you can't get at the start menu like on Parallels. They do have an attempted start menu like thing when clicking on the Fusion icon in the Mac task bar at the top of the screen. But I don't care for it. If that was the true blue start menu of my VM, it would be much much better.
You can use the menubar icon which is a really nice thing (it is actually the only thing you need, everything is in that menu). If you want you can use the Windows menubar (it's called task bar) but you have to enable it first which you can do from the View menu.

I think you need to go explore the various settings in Fusion and Parallels because there are a lot of things you can do to customise them to your liking. Don't use the automatic settings when creating a vm because in Parallels you'll end up with folder sharing enabled (you can deactivate it later on in the vm settings) and things like that. So go and explore the settings :)

CBX

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
If you're asking that question you don't understand virtualisation. Boot camp is troublesome as you need to reboot when you want to run another operating system. When using virtualisation you simply start (or resume) the vm with the OS you want to run. You can drag and drop between host (=your Mac) and guest OS (=vm) and simply put things on hold (aka suspend the vm) when you want. Virtualisation products have a special mode where you can integrate Linux/Windows stuff with OS X so it looks as if that Windows application you need to run is a native OS X application. Very useful if you just want to run 1 application (like some vm management tool for VMware ESXi which only runs on Windows or Linux).

Virtualisation is limited to what it can do performance wise (especially 3d performance like gaming). In such cases it is better to run the OS native by using boot camp. Other than that there is actually not much use for boot camp because it is annoying you need to shutdown everything, reboot and choose OS X if you want to use that. It sort of defeats the purpose and ease of use of a Mac. Imho the question should be: what reason do you have that requires the use of boot camp instead of virtualisation.

I fully understand virtualisation which is why I said almost exactly the same as you... :confused:

Ie I use do quite a bit of heavy weight Java development for which I spend a lot of time in Windows (yes I know I can do it on the mac). However, as im in it quite some time and use a lot of resources I use BC.

I also use VirtualBox when I just want to "drop in" to Windows for odd tasks or non major intensive work!

Also I hardly think having to reboot if your going to be in the (guest) OS for any reasonable length of time is exactly troublesome!

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
It's not the rebooting, it's the fact that you can't use your regular mac apps when you're in windows, so you have to keep separate music apps browsers, blah blah blah...
VMs ftw!

killerbee79

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Wisconsin
Actually that is quite simple (you may even be ashamed after reading how simple :p). Simply click on the "Import an existing virtual machine." link in the virtual machine library (I believe this is one of the first things you'll see when starting Fusion the first time) or go to File > Import.

Yeah, didn't see that (it was the wee hours of the morning when I was first trying to use Fusion there at that time). Too late now.

Check out the vm settings, Parallels 5 has an option to isolate the vm. Checking this checkbox this will disable any folder sharing and drag & dropping for the vm. If you want to keep the drag & drop ability you can disable folder sharing. Parallels in that regard has quite some security settings you can use. However, it becomes a bit different when you're looking at the architecture of the Parallels and Fusion software. They way Fusion handles things provides for more security.

I know Parallels has an option to isolate the VM. However when this is checked I then cannot share my one folder that has to be shared so I can use the files in my VM & Mac. Brkirch provided a link, I have yet to check that out. Everytime before when trying to not share my Home directory on my Macbook, Parallels then wouldn't let me share my one folder. Right now I have Parallels set up to share my folder and it is sharing my Home directory also my default. Maybe the link Brkirch will say something.

I actually dislike Parallels with this. Yes they have a smoother Coherence mode but VMware can fix this in Fusion updates. The problem lies in how Parallels does Coherence and the many modes it has. You have Coherence and Crystal which are like 99% the exact same thing with just the difference that with Crystal some stuff will end up in some menubar icon. That menubar icon is only used for the Crystal mode, it is useless for anything other. The problem I have is the unnecessary amount of modes (windowed, fullscreen, coherence/crystal is enough) and the fact that you have to look at 2 places for stuff: menubar and some folders/icons in the dock. In Fusion this is done a lot better because you only need to look at the menubar icon. You can access the start menu from the dock icon if you want but you'll miss out on the other options (like the ones on the View menu). If you hate the menubar icon you can hide it (option is in the vm settings).

You can use the menubar icon which is a really nice thing (it is actually the only thing you need, everything is in that menu). If you want you can use the Windows menubar (it's called task bar) but you have to enable it first which you can do from the View menu.

Yeah, this is just personal preference. I used Fusion for a few days and just really dislike Fusion's Unity mode. I know in that mode I can have Win7's task bar showing but I don't want that. I have always very disliked "autohiding" any taskbar, just not a fan of that. However I really like Parallels Crystal and Coherence modes. Again, just personal preferences on both our parts here.

I think you need to go explore the various settings in Fusion and Parallels because there are a lot of things you can do to customise them to your liking. Don't use the automatic settings when creating a vm because in Parallels you'll end up with folder sharing enabled (you can deactivate it later on in the vm settings) and things like that. So go and explore the settings :)
I've never used the auto settings in either Fusion, Parallels, or Virtualbox. I always use my own and customize. Again, deactivated folder sharing isn't what I want to do, but I talked about that earlier.

Side Note: I have used both Fusion 3 and Parallels 5 enough now to know IF I were to drop $80 on VM software it would be Parallels 5 by a long shot. It's just been a better experience for me. From speed to the GUI layout....everything. In fact I've already uninstalled Fusion 3, just didn't like it at all.

killerbee79

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Wisconsin
You don't need to share your entire home folder in Parallels Desktop, read this help article for details on how to setup individual shared folders:
Sharing Folders and Disks

Thanks for the link. Everything in there I already knew though. But after looking around some more in P5 I found the setting I needed to share my school folder while not sharing my Home directory.

In the configure menu for shared folders there is a drop down box. "Home" by default is selected. I put that to "none". In the box below that I added my one school folder to share. So now I'm happy.

It's kinda funny because when I was first setting this up I did try and do this exact thing but everytime I selected "none" in the drop down it would gray out the box below so I couldn't add my one folder to share. Just now it didn't.

I don't know. Problem solved.

mattspitz

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
Importing a VM installed with VirtualBox

I'm now joining the Parallels world, having installed my VM with VirtualBox. I'm thrilled to know that the VM can be imported so easily. One of my problems with VirtualBox, however, was that it was very slow on my computer (perhaps a function of my only having 2GB of RAM). Would Parallels run better if I did a clean re-install of my VM, or will its performance be unaffected by importing a VM that was set up through VirtualBox?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm now joining the Parallels world, having installed my VM with VirtualBox. I'm thrilled to know that the VM can be imported so easily. One of my problems with VirtualBox, however, was that it was very slow on my computer (perhaps a function of my only having 2GB of RAM). Would Parallels run better if I did a clean re-install of my VM, or will its performance be unaffected by importing a VM that was set up through VirtualBox?
If anything, the performance of your VM will increase with Parallels 5. That's what I found, importing my VirtualBox VM.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I use VirtualBox on my 13" MBP. Works GREAT. I have Windows 7 running on my external screen and OSX on my laptop screen. Seamless mode makes it just awesome.

I wouldnt use it with less than 4GB or ram though.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I use VirtualBox on my 13" MBP. Works GREAT. I have Windows 7 running on my external screen and OSX on my laptop screen. Seamless mode makes it just awesome.

I wouldnt use it with less than 4GB or ram though.
Sigh. I only have 2GB installed, and I have to allocate 1GB to my VM just to get Vista to run. It works, though it's a bit slow. Windows XP runs much better in a VM, at least for me. I also have Ubuntu 9.10 in a VM, and that works quite well though the sound is a little screwy.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Use Case 1:
---------------
I will likely be installing a Windows XP and a Linux image on my new iMac so I can do my work from my iMac when working at home rather than my work laptop. I plan on getting some external hard drive enclosures for my two laptop hard drives and hook them to my iMac via USB or FireWire and then when I go to the office, I'll just swap the hard drives into the 2 bays on my laptop and be good-to-go. The Linux I will setup to boot natively or as a VM and the windows will be 100% VM (either running under MacOS at home or under Linux when on the work laptop).

Use Case 2:
---------------
My wife's computer will need to run Quicken (until we migrate to something like iBank or the new Quicken for Mac comes out) as well needing to run her PrintArtist stuff or any old programs we have that she may want (like games and and our "Learn Italian" software).

My ultimate goal is to have "No Windows", however my wife agreed to us paying the "Apple Tax" to replace our aging PCs providing she can still do the stuff she does now and be able to switch at her own pace. I'm looking forward to having our computers perform decently without the constant malware updates and threats (not to mention having a backup solution that works -- since Acronis True Image brings our machines to an absolute crawl).

I hate to tell you this, but from what you are describing, there is no rationale behind your decision to purchase Apple hardware - everything that you do requires a PC, not a Mac. With those usage scenarios, the Mac -cannot- make you happy.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Um, why don't you guys just take the money you would have saved from going the free virtual box route and invest in some more ram so that it runs well? I only spent $90 on 4GB of ram and the prices will only continue to drop in the future.

Are there some other advantages to VMware or Parallels? :confused:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Are there some other advantages to VMware or Parallels? :confused:
Performance, features, no USB issues and support to name a few. Free doesn't always make it a better choice. Sure you save some $$ in the short run, but it comes back to haunt you in the long run.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Performance, features, no USB issues and support to name a few. Free doesn't always make it a better choice. Sure you save some $$ in the short run, but it comes back to haunt you in the long run.
What usb issues?

My windows 7 performs as I'd expect it to as well.

I was just looking for specifics mostly, I don't have experience with anything but Virtualbox.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What usb issues?

My windows 7 performs as I'd expect it to as well.

I was just looking for specifics mostly, I don't have experience with anything but Virtualbox.

Many people have reported issues with the usb while running VB.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Use bootcamp install with VirtualBox?

Back about a year ago, I installed the trial of VMWare Fusion (the current version at the time) on my MacBook and was able to have it boot from my bootcamp partition rather than having to install it as a separate VM. That way I could go either route, depending on the performance I needed at the time.

I don't use windows enough to justify spending 80 bucks on either of the paid apps, so I'm looking into VirtualBox. Does anyone know if I can use my bootcamp partition with virtualbox like I did with fusion? If not, I think I will just stick with bootcamp.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Back about a year ago, I installed the trial of VMWare Fusion (the current version at the time) on my MacBook and was able to have it boot from my bootcamp partition rather than having to install it as a separate VM. That way I could go either route, depending on the performance I needed at the time.

I don't use windows enough to justify spending 80 bucks on either of the paid apps, so I'm looking into VirtualBox. Does anyone know if I can use my bootcamp partition with virtualbox like I did with fusion? If not, I think I will just stick with bootcamp.
The answer, sadly, is no. VirtualBox doesn't support Boot Camp partitions.

tmadel

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
Need 4 GB of RAm

I'm experiencing very long delays when I try to run a qualitative data management program, called NVivo 8 (a big but not enormous app), on my Windows XP VM with VirtualBox. I'm wondering what people in this thread think about virtualization performance on computers that have 2gb of RAM (note, I can't upgrade past 2gb) and whether it's reasonable for me to think that if I purchase Parallels 5 I will notice significant performance improvements.

I have used both VMWare and Parallels and both perform poorly with less than 4 GB of RAM.

If you can't upgrade your RAM - your best bet is to stick with BootCamp

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I have used both VMWare and Parallels and both perform poorly with less than 4 GB of RAM.

If you can't upgrade your RAM - your best bet is to stick with BootCamp
Interesting. I haven't noticed any performance issues with 2GB of RAM in my iMac, half of that allocated to the virtual machine, running Parallels 5 with no other user applications running besides Finder. I run my VMs in full screen mode, if that makes any significant difference, and I never try to run more than 1 at once.

SeenJeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
VirtualBox has the least features, but it's fast and free.

I only use Windows to compare how websites look in IE, and launch the odd application.

VirtualBox beats the snot out of Parallels and VMware in boot time, and that's where it matters to me. Parallel and VMware have too much bloat for what I need.

Parallels and VMware, though, have awesome bootcamp support and are useful for people who need to run Windows all the time. I think these people are crazy, though... if you need to run Windows all the time, why not just use Windows 7? I love the Mac environment but Adobe's applications run better on Windows (I'm a web developer and designer), so chances are I'm going to switch back over to Windows (7, awesome OS) if I start to need more Windows programs. IMO at this point of time, Windows 7 and Snow Leopard are pretty even in terms of usability and stability.

JonnyMD

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
VirtualBox CAN do bootcamp

The answer, sadly, is no. VirtualBox doesn't support Boot Camp partitions.

Incorrect. VirtualBox CAN do bootcamp. I use it all the time. Takes some configuration but if you're up for it you can make it work. Google is your friend.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Unfortunately, not quite true. VMs created in VMWare Workstation on a PC using their nifty Pocket ACE capability (which optimizes a VM for use on a thumb drive) cannot be run under Fusion.

Ironically, instead of buying the $199 VMWorkstation, if you have a Mac available, you can buy the $79 VMFusion, create VM's and run it with the VMPlayer (free) on the PC without a problem. Works great; been doing it for a while now.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Many people have reported issues with the usb while running VB.

Actually, Parallels, Fusion, and VB all take a significant performance penalty when accessing the USB bus. I design USB devices and we have all the above apps to test with. Things work good, typically, but if you're trying to transfer larger amounts of data, or need something with critical timing, the only real option is Bootcamp. They typically work fine for slow speed things like mice, and keyboards, but if you're trying to scan a lot of things or transfer a lot of data from hard drives, it is going to be a lot slower.

brucet9

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Just need to use PhotoShop7 on XP

I hope you veteran and power users can sort out my needs for me, Virtual Box, Fusion or Parallels?

Mac Mini 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM, magic mouse, USB numeric keyboard, Snow Leopard latest version

I want a VM in order to use PhotoShop 7, which runs only on XP. It has better tools for color adjustment on old photos and extraction of parts of images than Pixelmator. I also would like the ability to playback some old WAV files that for some reason Snow Leopard cannot play.

Major concerns for me:
Support for the Magic Mouse.
Support for accessing image files on a USB external drive and saving back to it.
Ability to also access images on a USB drive from applications running on the host OS; Picasa, for instance. I think some VM's shut off host OS from USB drives.
Support for accessing files on CD's or DVD's
Can I shut off XP from vulnerability to viruses if I don't use IE? I use Safari and Firefox for Mac.
I use keyboard shortcuts a lot. How will they work with Photoshop 7 on XP and a Mac keyboard?

Some people mention using VM's to access Boot Camp. I don't understand what advantages there might be to doing so. Can someone explain?

Thanks in advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.