Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zenoran

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
I'm trying to decide what the best alternative is for the virtual pc within OSX... it seems all the gui enhancements of vista/win7 are disabled within the vm so what's really the point of having Vista or Win7 over XP? XP seems to run snappier too????

thanks for opinions/feedback :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
VirtualBox while free is not the best performing VM available. I'd recommend VMware, for its speed, stability and features.

With that said, I'd say if you're looking for performance, then XP is your choice. Both Vista and win7 run very slow in a virtual setting and as you noted w/o any of the eye candy as well.

zenoran

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
VirtualBox while free is not the best performing VM available. I'd recommend VMware, for its speed, stability and features.

With that said, I'd say if you're looking for performance, then XP is your choice. Both Vista and win7 run very slow in a virtual setting and as you noted w/o any of the eye candy as well.

virtualbox seems to be very speedy I haven't really noticed any problems with it... especially since it's FREE I'll probably be sticking with it seeing as I don't have a need for windows stuff too much except for adhoc needs here and there...

vm software aside... what I'm really curious about is why someone would choose Vista/Win7 over XP as a vm?

z3braman

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
Win xp versus Win7 in Virtualbox

I have a Win 7 installation that I am trying out. I have a couple license options but if I end up having to buy another w7 license I will be inclined to go back to xp. It's not a simple call.

First, I read the Win 7 installs have fewer reported virus infections. That's coming from MS so I deeply discount that but I would not be surprised if it's true but at what cost?

I don't really like the change to the desktop and prefer the xp look, maybe because I am used it. I don't see the advantage of the new layout.

I think of 7 as the refined sp3 xp. Stuff is wrapped into the system. That could go either way and who knows what MS has rolled in there.

I had issues getting my scanner and printer working on my hard 64 bit install. With xp it has been solid for years. And fast.

I don't see any performance drop in the fancy graphics on w7 but that doesn't do anything for me. My use is MS Office, Fujiscan Scanner, Picassa photomanagement and burning my dvds to my network drive. I haven't tried this yet but I want to use my VPN on the VM. It is only supported in Windows (gov't) so it's either dual boot or VM.

z3b

PS I know this is an old thread but I couldn't find anything current like it and it had such a great intro to the topic.

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon
I read the Win 7 installs have fewer reported virus infections.

Do you need to access the Internet from within Windows? If not, then how can you get infected?

My use is MS Office, Fujiscan Scanner, Picassa photomanagement and burning my dvds to my network drive.

None of that sounds like it requires access to the Internet to function.

I haven't tried this yet but I want to use my VPN on the VM.

This probably means that you will only be using the Internet to get access to a corporate network. Do you trust that network to not infect you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.