Virtualization on rMBP 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jcmpdo, Dec 1, 2013.

1. jcmpdo macrumors newbie

Hi, I want to buy a new rMBP 13 but I come from a PC so I have some doubts regarding the hardware.
    I want to run a virtual machine, mainly Linux for work, but sometimes Windows.

My doubt is whether the rMBP 13 supports virtualization VT-x and VT-d.

In terms of configuration I also have two doubts:
    - RAM: 8 vs 16: in normal conditions 8 GB is enough for me, but when running one VM I was thinking that 16GB can be useful.
    - CPU: i5 2,6 GHz vs i7 2,8 GHZ: do you think that the i7 processor has a great advantage over the i5 when running a VM?

What do you think?

2. AirThis macrumors 6502a

In principle, yes for VT-X and probably the same for VT-D.

If you want to make sure, get your processor model and check intel's site. Google will usually get you there directly. For example:

http://ark.intel.com/products/75991

To get your processor model, go to everymac.

3. jcmpdo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.
    I have checked intel website and both the i5 and i7 support vt-x and vt-d.

What about the configuration options? What do you recommend?

4. mac8867 macrumors 6502

I run both VT-X and VT-D... I definitely needed the 16GB of RAM.

5. jcmpdo thread starter macrumors newbie

What about the CPU?
    Do you think is necessary the i7? Or the i5 2.6GHz is enough?

6. willgreene99 macrumors regular

willgreene99

The I5 should be sufficient for general tasks, unless you are doing something CPU intensive. I noticed when I am running 2 VM's in VMware 6, my fans tend to kick in and the overall temp increases where my palm rests are warm. This is when I may be running a couple of MS apps and some ssh sessions to a solaris/unix server.

I have the I7 and 8GB of ram on my Air 6,1 and it runs up to 2 VM's without any issues. It's when I try to launch a third that I get periodic Page Outs and a bit of stuttering/click delay. This is in addition to running around 15 Mac apps at the same time.

Once my rMBP 13" arrives, it should provide slightly better performance than what I am getting now, since I went with the 16GB option.

7. mac8867 macrumors 6502

At this very moment, I am running 3 VM's, dual core i7 (16GB Ram) that is about 60% idle. If that gives you any idea.

VM1: WindowsXP VPN'd to client
    VM2: Oracle database
    VM3: Glassfish server

8. jcmpdo thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it an i5 or i7?
    So you would choose a i5/16GB configuration over a i7/8GB?

9. viss macrumors newbie

Ram first for running vm's, the 2.6/16GB setup should serve you wel.

10. willgreene99 macrumors regular

willgreene99

I5 for me as I did not feel the difference in speed was a big enough factor to sway me.

I am estimating that I should get fairly the same performance but with less power (which should represent a boost in battery run time) and lower temperatures (which should keep my palm rests cooler).

I5/16GB is the way to go, but that is my opinion.

11. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

Yesterday I bought a 13 inch MBPr with an i7 chip, 8GB of RAM, and 512GB of flash storage. It handles a VMware Fusion virtual machine in which I run Windows and a few apps, mostly Quicken for Windows, with no problems whatever. Less than 20 seconds are required to load Windows and Quicken comes up and displays the password prompt in 5. If anything this rig is overkill for a VM. Others may have more demanding needs than mine but so far I am more than pleased with how the MBPr handles Windows and its apps.

12. taythecoug macrumors newbie

I agree. I have the 8gb 256gig MBPr and it works great for a virtual machine. I mainly use quickbooks and some tax programs and it is running great (Windows 8).

13. jerrykur macrumors newbie

Same hear. I am running a 2010 Macbook pro 13 and 8GB and a single parallels VM. I do seem to have plenty of free memory even when running big Windows programs like Visual Studio.

14. jcmpdo thread starter macrumors newbie

i5 por i7 CPU?

15. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

A 2010 MBPro 13-inch would still be a Core 2 Duo !

16. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

It shouldn't make any difference. VMware Fusion with Windows 7 running in it performed serviceably for me although I only had a 2010 13 inch MBA with a 2.13 core duo chip and 4GB of memory. But the MBA had flash storage, which went a long way to disguise deficiencies that could have been disastrous with a mechanical hard drive. Of course, my MBPr with an i7 chip, 8GB of memory, and 512GB of flash storage is dramatically faster. Nevertheless, Fusion and Windows still performed satisfactorily on the MBA. Any modern MBP will be dramatically more capable that my old MBA.

17. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Just installed Windows 8.1 and Office 2013 on my 13" rMBP 8/256 sitting on top of VMWare Fusion 6 tonight.

Went well and seems to be running fine. I did have a freeze during one of the MS updates. Not sure what caused it but had to force quit VMWare.

I'll play with it a bit more tomorrow. My product key for windows was rejected so I'll have to sort that out over the next couple of days too. Looks like a fun call to Msft.

18. phsphoenix macrumors member

I've been running virtual machines on the dual core Macbook 13" for about a year. The 13", crmbp and rmbp have two real cores, which translates into four virtual threads for the host OS. What does that really mean? Ideally you want each of your guest OSes to have access to one real processor. If you put heavy load on your virtual machine a real machine with only two real cores can really only run ONE virtual machine, or you'll start to have lockup issues. If you run moderate loads, you might be able to get away with two, with the virtualization solution (hopefully) distributing the load on all available threads and cores. I've run up to three virtual machines on the 13" rmbp, but in my case I was only using them for website testing with Internet Explorer, so this would be considered a very light load. Even under this light load I would experience the occasional hickup as I had many apps running on the host os at the same time. As for processor support:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macbook_pro#Technical_specifications_3
    http://ark.intel.com/products/75990/

If you're serious about heavy work loads and virtualization, you should at least get 16GB of ram. You'll need it. If you want more than three virtual machines under heavy loads, you should probably get the 15".

19. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

After I bought a 13 inch MBPr with an i7 chip and 8GB of RAM earlier this week, I considered upgrading to Fusion Version 6 and Windows 8. After mature reflection, though, I was so happy with how well Fusion Version 4 and Windows 7 were performing on my MBPr, I decided I would stick with them. My virtual machine and Windows are used 95 percent of the time to allow me to run Quicken for Windows. This setup worked well enough when I was running them on a 2010 MBA, which had only a Core Duo chip and 4GB of memory. As noted in my earlier post, my MBPr with its i7 chip and 8GB of RAM run everything exponentially faster.

In 2009 I got a copy of Windows 7 from a software firm that had a bunch of licenses. I was a consultant for them. It was originally installed on a desktop Windows machine. In 2010, I needed to reinstall Windows in my MBA's virtual machine but it wasn't easy. I finally got MS to swallow my license info but not before having to call and work through a series of prompts. What a mess!

20. gtmac macrumors 6502a

It did take quite a bit of effort but I finally got Microsoft to accept the license information. The helpdesk was awesome they did a great job.

Fusion has thrown a couple of hiccups my way but considering the total cash outlay on office and fusion which was pretty minimal I am very happy. I got a sweet deal on fusion and office was only $9.99 through my work.

21. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

You got a great deal on Fusion!

I had a crash late this afternoon, the first one in the two days I have been running the MBPr, and suspect that Fusion/Windows may have been the culprit. I closed the lid on the machine when it was operating properly but when I opened it again. it was as dead as a doornail. Once I rebooted, everything came back up but the first thing I saw after the reboot was a glimpse of the Windows desktop. It disappeared immediately, which was followed by the big white Fusion arrow in the middle of a black screen. Anyway, once I rebooted everything worked perfectly again including Fusion and Windows. Time will tell I guess.

22. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Sorry Fusion was $24. Still a great deal. I am pleased do far.