virtually boot OSX while i'm in Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pscl, Feb 2, 2014.

1. pscl macrumors 6502

Hey Guys!

I know this sounds weired. But since my new imac is a gaming beast at win8 bootcamp i was wondering if it is possible to virtualy boot up my osx system.

normally i was booting my bootcamp partition via parallels when im in osx. but it is possible to do it the other way?

greets

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, you can only run Mac OS X on it if you natively boot into it.

3. X-Ravin macrumors regular

Actually I'd love to do the same, but alas I'm fairly confident it can't be done. Maybe someday we can get near-native virtualization, although the problem could be completely solved by game devs weaning off of MS frameworks.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I managed to boot into OS X with VMware Workstation, but that was on an OS X virtual machine on a Windows system.

I think it's possible this way.

Buy VMware Workstation, apply the patch to enable OS X and EFI booting for Workstation, create a new OS X VM and select the Macintosh HD partition as the startup disk if possible.

5. pscl thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you, but i know that it is possible to virtually install osx on vmware. but what i wanted to do is BOOT MY NATIVELY INSTALLED OSX virtually while im running bootcamp win8.

Same thing you can do while you are in osx (start windows bootcamp installation virtually with parallels) but just the other way.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

That's why I meant.

VMware workstation is for Windows.

Then with Workstation and a patch, you can boot into your OS X partition from Windows.

But in order to access your macintosh HD partition first, you must create a blank OS X virtual machine.

Note that Macintosh HD here means your OS X partition in your internal hard drive.

7. pscl thread starter macrumors 6502

sounds interesting... but i dont want to destroy my osx installation :D