Virus and the Partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by insan56, Dec 4, 2009.

1. insan56 macrumors member

I got Win7 on my bootcamp partition and OS X 10.6 on the Mac side, i was wondering if I do get a virus on the Windows side is there a real possibility of it effecting the Mac side?

btw i have Microsoft Security Essentials running on the windows partition

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, No and No again.

There a no viruses for Mac OS X, so a virus meant for Windows can't harm Mac OS X. Windows can't even read HFS+ formatted volumes (HFS+ is the file system Mac OS uses) without additional software like MacDrive.

So you don't have to worry about getting viruses on Mac OS X just because you have Windows installed.

3. whaleboy macrumors member

I just installed Windows7 via bootcamp, and noticed that I can actually see my osx partition from windows. I can even read and copy files over (osx to win, not the other way around). I don't remember winXP on my older macbook being able to do that...

-David

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you have Sow Leopard (10.6.x)?

If so, see here:

What is new in Boot Camp 3.0 for Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)?

Read Mac Volumes - Using Boot Camp 3.0, you can open and read files on Mac OS X volumes when booted into Windows. You can also copy photos, documents and other files from a Mac OS X volume into the Windows partition.

from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3777
    and

Snow Leopard has now NTFS writing capabilities with the Boot Camp partition.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Read-only, unless you edit a file to enable experimental, unstable, write capabilities.

B

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Okay, should have made that more clear of course.

7. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

In theory a mean/vicious virus can corrupt a partition table; thus taking down the entire hard drive without regards to OS installed. There is nothing you can do about it, but if you just recreate the partition table you should be able to get all your data back.

Additionally, in theory, a virus could be clever and have it's own access to the mac partition and delete files there. But I say in theory because it would be a major undertaking by the virus writer. I have never heard of one doing this either. But in theory it is possible.

And finally, if the virus does sector writes directly to the hard drive, it can wipe the entire hard drive. :( Again, although possible and it has been done, it isn't often to be done.

What we do know for sure, is that no virus can install itself into files on the Mac partition and thus infecting your mac. That hasn't happened, and I don't see it happening anytime soon.