virus attack and how to gauge it

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jusfer, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Jusfer macrumors member

I stupidly clicked on a link of a trusted person's email. A website came up with a short message but nothing else. I waited maybe 20 seconds and then closed the browser. A minute later I got an email from same sender saying their email account was hacked and not to click on the link.

At that point, I closed all browser windows and turned off the iphone for a minute or so.

How can I find out whether my iphone (iPhone 4 with OS 5.1) is now compromised? I am hoping that their attack was aimed at Windows PCs rather than Apple devices.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cant get a virus on stock ios firmware.
    Your iphone is not compromised.

3. RodThePlod, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

You're right - the vast majority of these types of attacks are aimed at systems running Windows. In most cases, these attacks will exploit a vulnerability in the web browser (typically Internet Explorer) that allows code to be executed from the site that you land on when you click the link. Typically, a Windows executable file is 'dropped' onto the computer which then runs and installs other programs such as tojans or rootkits.

When you visit that type of malicious site on an iOS device, the code simply doesn't run and so your device is unaffected.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that vulnerabilities only exist on Windows, though - Safari on iOS 5.1 contained a vulnerability that allowed a malicious website to 'hide' its URL and display a totally different URL to the user. So the user would, for example, enter login credentials for a site that they thought they were on, when really they were on a malicious site that looked like the legitimate site, but was only there to gather peoples login credentials.

iOS 5.1.1 fixed that vulnerability, though - which is one reason why you should always ensure that you are running the latest iOS version.

Anyhow - you took the correct actions when you suspected something was wrong!

Good luck!

RTP.

4. Jusfer thread starter macrumors member