virus dangers of torrents

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hehe299792458, Dec 13, 2008.

1. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

What is the chance of catching a virus from download torrents? I usually only download things that have been vetted by a lot of people and declared to be safe (well, no one said they found malware), but still, what is the chance a virus infecting OS x from these sources? Thanks a lot

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

who says hes stealing software:rolleyes:

op: just dont authorize programs that you dont trust and youll be set

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

you might pick up the occasional ad-ware, nothing too serious. But seriously why bother with torrent?

I understand stuff is free but I have never found them appealing. annoying more like

5. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Oh, I usually don't, but I need this piece of software (legally downloaded, of course) that I can't get. So I take it that it's generally considered safe?

6. bluesTank macrumors regular

Macs are not as safe as you think. They are not invincible out there anymore.

Here is just one report:
    http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-251586.html

I mean, you still have to type in your password in order to be affected, but when downloading applications in which you THINK they are ok, you would type it in anyways. So be careful out there, it is not a ZERO chance!

7. devburke Guest

Yeah, you have to watch out for trojans (malicious programs that disguise themselves as desirable ones, which do harm once you've given them permission to run). Generally, you know where you downloaded software from, so as long as you didn't get it from a shady site you should be good. Torrents are a little riskier though, because you don't know where they originated. Definitely try for a torrent with positive feedback.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Simple way of dealing with it is not to download executables.
    On a windows machine, it's slightly more complicated through the problems malware video can bring etc.
    Sneakerware is probably the best thing - find someone who can fully pass on a legitimate copy and licence of any software.
    Or buy it.

9. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

would scanning the file with Kaspersky help? Does a windows anti-virus software even contain the definitions for Mac viruses?

10. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

ClamXav contains definitions for threats to apple OSes.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sorry dude for sounding a bit suspicious but if this software is being "Legally Downloaded" as you say then you shouldn't worry about viruses. If this is an authorized download then all should be good. If you have reason to be concerned then.......there's something you're not telling us.

12. DYER macrumors 6502

To be honest i disagree i download quite a lot of crap via torrents mainly freeware programs and music which ur allowed to download - ie stuff which was put up by small unknwon artists.
    I still think it isnt worth getting software illegally as u never get the support form the companies (ie updates) which i value most

13. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

oh, this is what I am afraid of - a thread disintegrating into a messy debate on the virtues of torrents in general.....

14. kolax macrumors G3

If you are going to download torrents, check the comments first.

Never install something that you are unsure of if it asks for your username and password. There isn't viruses, but there is trojans for OS X, which install themselves by user stupidity (i.e. the user knowingly installing it).

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When did Tallest Skil suggest the OP was stealing software?

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Probably in the first complete sentence of my first post. :D Though, it is more of a friendly reminder than an accusation. :cool:

17. Jisuo macrumors 6502

Stupid meatbags always pirating software. :p

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Why not DL freeware from the author's or a mirrored site instead of DL using a torrent?

:)

19. bluesTank macrumors regular

Why? Who gives a crap about what he is doing? We aren't his parents.

He asked a question, and I was answering it. I'm not here to provide moral judgement or lecture anyone.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is why: From Forum Rules:

21. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Simply having the name of the sight in the post in no way advocates piracy. Quit stifling a discussion like this. Torrents have numerous legitimate uses, and simply giving out the name of a tracker does no harm. People have the freedom to use/abuse these services as they see fit. The consequences are up to them. It would only be a problem if the guy said something to the tune of: "hey, if you want a free copy of office, go to [...]" or "hey i was trying to steal [...], is there a risk of viruses?"

Long story short, get off it, man...

22. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Read TPB's Legal section (if for no other reason than they are hilarious). They are not distributing software or a means to bypass licensing, etc. They are simply tracking torrents from people who may or may not be doing so.
    The original person who posted the URL made no comment about what to do with torrents on TPB. They simply said that their torrents are generally virus free.

As I said to TallestSkil, please, stop stifling a conversation that is asking a legitimate question. None of the people here have made any comments advocating software piracy or anything of the sort.

23. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

lol exactly. Those higher up seem to be on their high horse regarding torrents in general and get all freaked out when the word "torrent" is mentioned. You asked a legitimate question. I hope you found a good answer. Now would be a good time to leave this forum alone and let the brawlers go at it :D

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Neither TallestSkil nor I are "stifling" anything. If suggesting that people follow forum rules is stifling a conversation, then the conversation shouldn't be taking place.

25. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

bitorrent is probably the easiest way to distribute large files across the web at maximum speed. I regularly download "linux distros"