Virus/Hacked/??? scam website, with call center

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furi0usbee, Jun 5, 2015.

1. furi0usbee, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2015

furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

OMG! I couldn't stop laughing. So I was doing a regular search online and I came across the site below. Before you click on it, just know it uses JavaScript to open a *very long* popup, and proceeds to tell you that your computer is involved in some third party illegal exploits. Reading it was pretty funny, but then a voice comes on and starts to read it to you. It's a British voice, but sounds computer generated. Anyway, that's not the best part, they have a phone number you can call, and it routs to a call center in what sounds like India, and as you are talking to your guy, you can hear people in the background telling other people who have called to "install anti-hack tools" and such.

If you turn off Javascript when going to the page you won't get the popup, but will get the voice, which is just an mp3 file.

http://errormaconesupport.info/

2. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

As ridiculous as it sounds, one of my colleagues fell for that same scam last weekend. SMH
    She actually called the number, believed everything they said and gave remote access of her Mac to some guy at an Indian call center. She casually mentioned it to me Monday morning, assured that she had been helped. I was like, WTF? I went on to explain how foolish it was to do that. The next day she brought in her MacBook and I got rid of the crap they installed. I also had her change every password she has. Luckily, she didn't give out her personal or bank information. At least not that she'd admit to.

3. Miguel760 macrumors member

This pop up happened to me yesterday. I called AppleCare and the tech helped me remove whatever was on my computer.