Virus Help Please

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ac-mac, Apr 10, 2007.

1. ac-mac macrumors member

my macbook has just been infected i think. the desktop suddenly changed to some sort of electric eel/worm, and when i tried to load up activity monitor i noticed that the names of some of my applications had changed to random letters and the icons had gone. so i tried to click one but it didnt work. i dont have any antivirus software... apple gave me the impression that osx doesnt get viruses. does anyone have any idea what i can do. all my school work is on it and i dont have a recent backup. :(

please anyone who has a solution or who has experienced this?

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Macs don't get viruses...

It's probably just a bug.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

1. does restart of computer help?
    2. does cleaning of system cache help?
    3. there is an AV app called clamXav, u can check it out here: http://www.markallan.co.uk/clamXav/

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Depending on...ahem...how metaphorically you mean this.... Your desktop background / wallpaper is now literally a picture of an eel that you have never used before? If that's true, this isn't a bug, and it almost definitely involves someone (presumably besides you, unless you have DID) playing around with your computer.

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

No Mac OS X system has gotten a virus.. OS 9 yes ... all of Windows -- yes

Attached Files:

6. ac-mac thread starter macrumors member

i restarted the computer only to be greeted by the same background, and my apps still have random names.
    i tried to clean the cache but can not load spring cleaning
    i will try that i am downloading clamXav now

i only have 3 pictures (that i know of) on my computer and none of these have the strange worm like lines that i see. no one has touched my computer for a week... and my gf who touched it last, dont think she would know how to do this

EDIT: I use an old OS9 G3 for work, as my Intel macbook is used solely for recording

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm getting less sure I understand...

Are you:

1) Seeing random white or colored straight, horizontal lines that stretch all the way across the screen

2) Seeing wavy artifacts that are not straight and do not stretch all the way across the screen

3) Seeing things that actually really look like worms

If you are experiencing 1 or 2, then this is probably a hardware issue and not a virus or a software issue... (1) is usually a sign that the logic board is failing, and (2) is usually a sign that a cable is loose.

8. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

9. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Can you take a screenshot, and post it here?

If the problem isn't visible in the screenshot, it's most likely a hardware problem. If the problem is visible, at least we'll have a better idea of the problem you're seeing. ;)

10. ac-mac thread starter macrumors member

I dont dare turn the computer back on so ive drawn this in illustrator. the screen is like this but instead of curvy lines they are jagged and much thinner. and the lines come in from all edges of the screen

EDIT: O yeh even if it is cable/logic board im more worried about the loss of my applications

Attached Files:

11. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

This is weird. Sorry I can't help you. Good luck in fixing it.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

can u try to boot with OSX disk and do a disk repair?

13. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Is the screen cracked?. I'm not sure people will be able to help if you won't turn the computer back on because there isn't really anything you can do with it off.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh yes, try booting ur computer with OSX disk or any linux LivdCD, if screen remains weird, then its cracked from inside. coz u are not running anything from HDD.

PS. Have a glass on

15. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

16. ac-mac thread starter macrumors member

ok ive just reformatted and reinstalled os9... still the same problem. im sure its not the screen because most of my apps have been replaced by long random letter file names.

17. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Can you post screen shots now that you are back up and running.

and I take it you mean OS X.

18. ac-mac thread starter macrumors member

no i mean os9 (i lost osx cd) and this is what i got after installing... the random message says

You have been hacked by the Praetorians

looks pretty scary to me... anyone seen this before

Attached Files:

19. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

20. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Hang on a sec. This can't be your laptop if it's an Intel. It wouldn't boot to OS 9. Am I missing something?

21. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Quick search in google shows that you do indeed have a virus.

What computer is this on because in your signature it only lists a Macbook.

[​IMG]

Agax is worth a try

22. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You can't install OS 9 on a MacBook (Though Code 9811 is an OS 9 virus, it doesn't exist in a form that works on OS X, and certainly not on an Intel machine). I declare this thread a fake. Way to look up an old, outdated virus on the Internet and try to start crap on a Mac forum, ac-mac. Nothing to see here, folks, move along. :rolleyes:

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, it would have helped if you were much more specific with details... this clearly is not a Macbook. What kind of Mac is it? We all assumed you were using OS X because you said you had a Macbook. If you have an iBook or Powerbook that runs a pre-OS X operating system, yes, it can certainly get viruses like the one it seems you have.

Either that, or, as others have posited, you're just making this all up for attention? :rolleyes:

24. ac-mac thread starter macrumors member

thanks i googled it as well. now does anyone know how to get rid of this code 9811 thing? i have an ibook 500MHz G3, with 128meg ram and 10GB HDD

yes i know my signature only lists a macbook... however that does not mean i can not use other computers. i also have a PC laptop and an imac that i regularly use. thank you to those that helped, but to those that think i am making it up for attention that is just sad

25. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Nice detective work guys. This really had me intrigued there for a bit.

You know, it really would have helped a lot had you not told us it was a MacBook with OS X in your original post. :rolleyes: