Virus in hotmail?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Robert Howieson, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Robert Howieson macrumors newbie

Three email friends received multiple copies of an email from me entitled “I found it”. One friend received approx. 5000 copies. My email account is hotmail. I deleted all files from my mailbox (junk, sent..). I phoned Applecare and was told that it could not be a virus. I also phoned a local Mac repair business and they confirmed that. Can you suggest what might have caused the problem and whether there is a need for me to do something to prevent similar incidents?

2. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

99.9% it was not from your account. Its really easy to make it look like an email came from you. If you go into your email setup and change your email address to joeblow@apple.com and do the same for you reply address, when you send something to a friend, it will look like it came from apple even though it came from you. (just an example)

If your friends still have the emails, ask them to open it and check the header. You can get more detailed info that way.