Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c.jalakam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
hey guyzz....i got my new MBP in june,after a month i got some kind of virus in my mac (,DS_STORE n .TRASH),dont know what to do ...plz suggest me should i format my whole mac or is there any other way......

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
hey guyzz....i got my new MBP in june,after a month i got some kind of virus in my mac (,DS_STORE n .TRASH),dont know what to do ...plz suggest me should i format my whole mac or is there any other way......
.DS_Store files are not virus files. They are normal files that belong on your Mac. You don't need to format or do anything.

You don't have a virus, since no viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Oh god please don't add to the crap on the Internet where people ask if every file is a virus.

It makes me insane when I'm searching for something on Google and half of the results are people wondering if they have been infected because they have a certain file.

• .DS_Store files are mostly used to save folder view information. It's normal for them to get created whenever you browse to a folder using Finder
  • .Trash is the folder deleted files get put in before you empty the Trash
Turn off showing hidden files:
  1. Open Terminal
  2. Type - "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE" & Press Return
  3. Type - "killall Finder" & Press Return

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.