Virus/Mailware/Trojan software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Roscoeyo, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Roscoeyo macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm looking for the best free, or not too expensive Anti-Virus/Malware/Trojan/ etc... sofware for Mac.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You don't need it.

Just don't go giving away your admin password to everything that asks ... just things you know you got from a legitimate source.

3. Roscoeyo thread starter macrumors newbie

Fair enough! Coming from a PC background not too long ago its an old habit that dies hard. I do get allot of PC files sent to me (word / powerpoint) etc... No danger in getting something from these then.

Thanks for the response.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can still pass along things to Windows users, but since they should be protected (especially if it is for work), you shouldn't have to worry.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Many enterprise email systems have built-in virus protection. Email is email. These systems don't know what kind of system sent the email. They don't know what kind of system will receive it. If you send messages that contain infected attachments, then your attachments may be deleted. Your messages may even be blackballed by the system.

It is all good and fine to claim that Macs don't get viruses. This is true. However, it is not true that viruses are nothing for Mac users to worry about. There is an entire industry setup to protect Windows computers from viruses and other malware. Mac users, particularly those who work in heterogeneous environments, need to navigate these security measures. Failure to do so can cause some measure of grief.

6. Pani macrumors member

Pani

Very Confused

I keep getting this pop up that says my macbook has been infected by malware. But it refers to my "PC" It says I should go to "antimailwarescanner" Is this legitimate? I thought Macs don't get viruses? Is this site legitimate? Should I go there, or is it some kind of hoax?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Just ignore it and turn on popup blocker. Completely ignore it. Nothing has happened.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

This is not true. Recently there was a Mac virus going around. The person that started it was able to get mac users keystroke information and cleaned out one persons bank account. Mac's need protection too.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. There aren't any viruses. :confused:

10. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

Source?

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If by virus, you mean trojan ... one that required the user to give their admin password to the installer ... and by going around you mean it was acquired by the user downloading it from a less than reputable source.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Currently, there are no Viruses for Mac OS X.

Virus information.

With any computer system, the worst Virus/Malware/Trojan is the object between the chair and the computer, ie. the user.

No computer is immune from a user going to a site, downloading software and installing it by confirming via clicking on an OK button or entering an admin password. This can happen on any system.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are exactly ZERO viruses that exist that run on Mac OS X. There are trojans, but you have to actively install those, which involves entering your administrator password, so they're easy to avoid, if a user is careful what they install and where they get it.

Note: Urban Legends are NOT the same thing as viruses.

14. Pani macrumors member

Pani

I have read about the Mac virus from pirated software. I didn't do that. I just bought this computer a few months ago. I bought the office software for an additional fee. That was the only thing I put on it, uploaded from the disc straight from the Mac store.

The reason I am a bit concerned was I suspect I had been corresponding with a Nigerian "romance" scammer. I certainly didn't send him any money when he asked. (The whole reason I put up with men is for money so sending funds would entirely defeat the purpose:mad:.) No real harm done and it had its amusing aspects. But he did e-mail me a few pics which I had to download. (Probably of some poor guy who has no clue his pic is being used in that way) Since then I have read about PC owners who claim after they broke off correspondence with their scammers, they were sent viruses that forced them to clear off their hard drives. (Actually mine begged me never to contact him again, but I won't go into that here:)). Basically then, I don't have to worry because there is no way a simple pic can harm a mac then right?

This is a bit weird though. My login pic was of myself and my cat. A few days ago, it was changed to one of myself only. I didn't do it deliberately. In fact, I didn't have a clue as to how and change it until I looked up after noticing the photo changed on its own. I changed it to a preset sunflower and it has stayed that way ever since. A glitch perhaps?

Thanks for all your help. It just occurred to me I should call Mac too since I did pay for an extended warranty and helpline!

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

As has been stated above, there are no virus for the Mac.

FYI, Apple is the company that makes the computer that runs the Mac OS or Mac for short. So you might want to contact an Apple store in your local area for help.

If you downloaded any software from other than a trusted site, then it is possible that you downloaded and installed a trojan.

Are you sure that every picture that you downloaded from your Nigerian "friend" was a legitimate picture file? My guess is that you may have downloaded some other kind of file.