Virus? Not sure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macnerdiac, May 12, 2011.

1. macnerdiac, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2011

macnerdiac macrumors member

macnerdiac

I have been having a annoying problem lately, my computer is freezing or the beach ball spin thing keeps popping up while im online and slows down the comp then goes away then comes back? im not sure if i have a virus or what but i downloaded clamxav and scanned by documents and nothing showed up.

i am currently scanning the H.drive to see if it picks up anything but i have no idea why this is happening , any suggestions?

Also i went to check my hotmail and this popped up

http:// 178.17.162.163 / 57824cc30adeb2274fa1422260baa17066b2d6d72310f799 ?????

2. simsaladimbamba

Check the first section in
    Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

And Mac OS X does not have drive letters (H drive).

3. greenbreadmmm macrumors regular

my computer was doing that too, it turned out to be firefox 4. Needless to say i went back to chrome

4. macnerdiac thread starter macrumors member

macnerdiac

ok thank you sim salad
    ill will try to figure this out but i do not have MACdefender so not sure what is it

also i had firefox 4 hated it went back to 3.6 or the previous version. :mad:

5. lewdvig macrumors 65816

http://www.cultofmac.com/security-researchers-malware-on-mac-is-a-very-real-threat/94720

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The assumptions in that article are bogus. As it has been for the past 10 years, the only malware threat to Mac OS X that exists is an ignorant or careless user, since the handful of threats that exist all require the user to actively install them.

There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:
    The first section of that link deals specifically with the MacDefender/MacSecurity/MacProtector issue. I encourage you to read it.

7. munkery, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Mac OS X will not have the same malware problems as Windows. The main reason Windows has so many issues is the Windows OS with the greatest market share, XP, does not use discretionary access controls (DAC) in the account type, admin, used by most users. An OS has no user space security mechanisms and many trojans can install without authentication when run without DAC. The primary user space security mechanism in this regard protects security sensitive data from being logged when entered into password prompts and web forms.

Also, even Windows 7 has a higher liability to have more malware issues due to having a greater number of privilege escalation vulnerabilities.
    http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=Mac+OS+X+gain+privileges+2011
    http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=Windows+7+gain+privileges+2011
    Privilege escalation is required to install rootkits that bypass user space security mechanisms in OSs that use DAC unless social engineering ploys trick unknowledgeable users.

Most OSs provide enough security such that malware that relies on social engineering, such as MACDefender, is obvious and easy to avoid with a little bit of user knowledge. Even if the volume of Mac OS X malware increases proportionally in terms of market share, the incidence rate of successful infection per capita will not equal that of Windows, specifically XP, due to using DAC by default and having fewer privilege escalation vulnerabilities.

Other examples show that the more targeted platform is that which is easier to exploit. Microsoft IIS is exploited more than Apache despite Apache having greater market share. Android OS has more malware than iOS despite roughly equal market share. The large volume of Windows malware is due to both being an easier target and greater market share.

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I remember seeing a thread like this with a screenshot.

I encountered the infamous "Your Mac has a xx viruses!"

Hehe, it's fake.

Attached Files: