Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lizziejh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
UK
A good friend sent me a message and because it was normal for her to do so, I opened it. It was a You tube video that didn't open but a pop up appeared about some competition participation. Now I keep getting g a pop up on my phone. I cleared website data on Safari and rebooted my phone but it’s still there. Help please. I have the latest software on my phone. Thanks

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Try "reset all settings" and then reboot your phone. If that works, I advise get a good adblocker like Adguard. If that doesn't work, you can try restoring from a previous backup (before you opened the message).

Edited to add: You don't have a virus.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

Lizziejh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
UK
Try "reset all settings" and then reboot your phone. If that works, I advise get a good adblocker like Adguard. If that doesn't work, you can try restoring from a previous backup (before you opened the message).

Edited to add: You don't have a virus.

Thank you I will try what you suggest.

nieks

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
The Netherlands
This is the weirdest I have ever heard. No iPhone can get a virus by opening a youtube video. iOS is simply build to not allow it. An adblocker will stop stupid popup adverts, but there are no (i repeat: no) virusses possible on an iPhone 8.

Reactions: ericwn

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
When are you getting the pop-up? When you're in any random app? When in the messages app? When in Safari?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.