Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Colinjetli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Thailand
Today for the first time i a have got many virus on my mac pro i keep getting messages coming up saying that my Mac Protector version 2.6 is unregistered now originally i purchased my 17" Mac Pro from a Apple Store in Emporium Department Store in Bangkok and as far as i was concerned everything was all above board and everything on the Mac Pro was registered
I tried to clean the infected parts of the machine and when i tried to purchase Mac Defender it would not let me put my credit card details for several cards so i could not clean the various virus on my machine
I am working in Egypt and i purchased some 6 months ago a USB flash memory for internet use this was a pre pay account and everything has being fine with that and for two years with the machine
And when i attempted a scan i got trojan-worm-suspect applications-jpeg's-tiff & melaware and excel virus and i have the Word ,Excel,Powerpoint & Entourage Mac and they where also showing as suspect virus
And sometimes i can be in say hotmail and then suddenly i am on a website that is dodgy to say the least please could someone please advise if possible and highlight what is the problem apart from the obvious
Upon my return home i will return to where i purchased my Mac pro and see what they can do and regarding buying the software to put this right online i dont think that is going to happen until i have sorted this
Thank you all for spending the time to read this e mail
Colinjetli

Nov 28, 2010
located
READ THE FIRST PART (called MacDefender or MacSecurity or MacProtector installation package) OF THE FOLLOWING FAQ:
Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

Btw, it is MacBook Pro, not Mac Pro, as the Mac Pro is this machine:
Y23rfXszqBIE1muWhgl50eGBeqJDb5be2MOIZXLyh5SpkMNojGAeHptOoS-60H4NHWaWrpZu45bRTOgJb6Xj2JtOgMyax0KF1GjH0iDRGwGbnga7UBd6jzIwoxv4ZaCQ1Dj0MfqMeubhCGQIMC8gkktWQ2Y

ppfd

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
West Virginia USA
I kept receiving an email from "Pioneer Mobile". Thinking it was reputable, as my car stereo equipment is Pioneer I opened one. It was a scammer.

I use ClamXav and run it once a week. Well it picked up "Pioneer mobile" as a "Phishing" virus. I blocked the address, in gmail and ran ClamXav again and all seems to be good. As far as personal accounts, I immediately checked my banking and credit cards and it looks as if everything is safe.

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I kept receiving an email from "Pioneer Mobile". Thinking it was reputable, as my car stereo equipment is Pioneer I opened one. It was a scammer.

I use ClamXav and run it once a week. Well it picked up "Pioneer mobile" as a "Phishing" virus. I blocked the address, in gmail and ran ClamXav again and all seems to be good. As far as personal accounts, I immediately checked my banking and credit cards and it looks as if everything is safe.

Keep checking your cards, you gave the info to scammers, check them daily or as others said, close the accounts. We are not joking about this issue.

Edit, this is meant for the OP.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Ya, you've been taken advantage of by this software. Cancel the cards.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
I use ClamXav and run it once a week. Well it picked up "Pioneer mobile" as a "Phishing" virus. I blocked the address, in gmail and ran ClamXav again and all seems to be good.

FYI, you can use the sentry feature in ClamXav to real-time scan emails. See the links in my sig for more details.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.