Virus on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kstone, May 20, 2014.

1. kstone macrumors newbie

Please help! In the last few days I have noticed that all the ads on the websites I go to are X-rated. The websites I am referring to are harmless ones, such as news websites that usually have ads for TV shows, not p0rn!

We torrent download TV shows often and have been streaming shows for years, but this issue is new.

I have a MacBook Pro with OS X version 10.8.5.

Can anyone tell me exactly how I can get rid of these ads? My young nieces use my laptop sometimes and I would hate for them to see that!!

Thanks

2. majkom macrumors 65816

U have no virus:D it is all based on cookies, easiset solution - use adblock - that blocks all banners and you dont see them.. or, erase all surfing history.

3. Giev macrumors member

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

And upgrade to 10.9.3 which has more security updates!

5. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

It's fairly obviously not a virus.

Instead I suspect somebody has been looking at some very naughty things on that laptop... The reason for that is that internet advertisement companies tend to track people's across websites with so-called "tracker cookies" and then display ads based on what sites they've observed you visiting.

I've personally been displayed ads for SSD's (basically computer disc drives based on the same kind of memory as you have in USB thumb drives and camera memory cards) for over two months after I got one and it only ended after I cleared my browser contents. There's really no need to do anything more extreme when that does the trick.

If you're using Safari this should be under "Safari" in the upper part of the screen and in Opera, the browser I use, it's straight under "Opera".

6. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

7. sequoiamac macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure it's not a virus. It's probably caused by the website codec causing windows to pop up randomly. I would advise to clear out the cookies, cache and everything and reset it back to brand new. Also, make sure you have pop up blocker checked as well.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Like others mentioned, clear your cookies and cache. It is possible you got some adware on there. Try running this adware removal tool and see what it finds.

9. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Just download CCleaner. Nice and easy way to clear cache and cookies, as well as free up 500Mb of space.

10. janitor3 macrumors regular

As well as CCleaner you could also give Onyx a try.