Virus on my iPhone? Help!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by littleharpseal, Aug 31, 2016.

1. littleharpseal macrumors newbie

littleharpseal

So I was on Safari and then I wanted to close all the tabs I opened and I found this tab:
    14199667_338284663227760_3978294566371812679_n.jpg
    It says that a virus was detected and I need to press the button (Step 1 - Pasul 1) and I pressed the button because I got scared and then when I saw a strange "searching for viruses" tab I closed immediately. I don't know, I think I did bad pressing the repair button. I don't know... it was a virus or it was something that had a paying role, I mean in order to make me pay to repair my phone? I asked a friend to write on his android browser the address (which is ro.younelaws.com) and it seems it says the same thing (that his device has viruses), but when he pressed the repair button nothing happened.
    14182259_647295942110259_1499711965_n.png
    Do you think I got a virus on my phone now because I pressed the button, even if I closed immediately? Or it was a spam?

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That page is designed to scare you and follow its suggestions. Close the page and move on with your life. There are no viruses for iPhones. They don't exist.

3. littleharpseal thread starter macrumors newbie

littleharpseal

Well I just followed one instruction (stupid me), then I closed immediately... and that's why I'm scared. I need to contradict you. At my school a boy received a text message in chinese or something and his device needed to be restored. So you say that is impossible to get viruses from Safari opened tabs like this? o_O Now I'm calmer. :)
    --- Post Merged, Aug 31, 2016 ---
    And also... I have to ask you what they win (the creators of these tabs) if people are supposed just to follow the instructions?

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That was a bug
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/27/8665181/iphone-messages-disabled-by-text-string

And I'm sorry, but "what they win"? What do you mean?

5. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

+1.
    OP, If you want to surf safer w/o similar pop-ups, you might consider using Adguard. In some cases it helps.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

The Tab does not look legitimate. Most likely a spoof.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Those links often lead you to a link that appears to offer some help to "clean off the virus", You get to pay if you want the "fix"
    It's just a scam, but if you pay for the help that you don't need, then they have convinced you that you have a problem, and…
    that's when they "win" - and you lose some money, and waste some of your time for no good purpose.

8. spitf1r3 macrumors regular

spitf1r3

That most probably wasn't the case here, but have you heard what iOS 9.3.5 is about?

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Could you be more specific about what exactly you're alluding to?

10. spitf1r3 macrumors regular

spitf1r3

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

12. SSAJ macrumors 6502

Dude this is a waste time go to settings>safari and clear history and browsing data

13. thomasareed macrumors member

thomasareed

There actually is malware for the iPhone, and the possibility does exist to install that malware simply by visiting a website. Case in point, the recent Pegasus spyware, installed via a set of three iOS vulnerabilities:

https://blog.lookout.com/blog/2016/08/25/trident-pegasus/

Now, that said... iOS vulnerabilities like those are extremely valuable. One recently sold for $1 million. The Pegasus spyware was used in very specifically targeted attacks, using not one but three such vulnerabilities, and was used by governments. So, the chances that someone is going to burn a million dollar iOS zero-day vulnerability on a stupid fake virus scam - meaning it would quickly get found and fixed by Apple - is pretty much zero.

There are other ways to install malware on an iPhone, but they would require more steps on your part than simply visiting a website.

Thus, if you didn't take some additional steps to accept the installation of a new piece of software from a dodgy website, you're good. You don't have malware on your iPhone.

Those fake virus scam sites generally have one of two purposes: to get you to call a provided phone number and pay the scammers to help you remove a "virus" from your computer, or to trick you into downloading and installing something bad. Most likely, that page would simply have "scanned" your phone and then claimed there was a virus, and then given you a phone number.