Virus on Windows 7 boot camp sdd -Help please!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fatlardo, Aug 14, 2011.

1. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Hey guys, need some help. My gf got the ups virus and now I can't get to the boot screen or bios screen. It's basically stuck on a black screen with just an underscore. Tried pressing f8 but no luck. I tried using usb recovery for windows 7 but it wont read the usb stick? I tried by turning it on and holding option, which popped up mac drive and windows drive, but no usb? I can locate the virus from logging into osx, but from osx the windows drive is read only? Can I change it to read/write so I can get rid of the virus? Any other ideas?

2. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

1. Delete and start over.
    2. Make sure you backup often.
    3. Get yourself a good anti-virus.
    4. Get a new gf. :cool:

4. Shadoobie macrumors newbie

It's really easy to delete and start over. Given how much time you've probably invested, you can definitely reach in to the Bootcamp partition and grab your data. This might very well be the way to go (minus getting a new gf).

I encountered a similar situation, but I was able to boot from the USB stick I used to install Windows 7 and run Kaspersky labs rootkit cleaner (copying it onto the USB stick before booting).

Also, Norton will allow you to create a rescue USB/Flash drive that will be bootable and will scan the SSD. However, Norton was unable to clean the rootkit that I encountered. Of course, it was of Russian origin (boot.tidserv), so it makes sense that the Russkies could clean it.

I imagine I could've created a virtual machine using VMWare (that was installed on the machine I cleaned--my wife's), but this may or may not be another option for you.

5. 2IS Suspended

Have you tried pressing F8 as soon as you select the bootcamp partition in order to get to the boot menu? If you can get that far you can try to get in safe mode and clean the virus that way.