virus on word document

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cody85, Oct 10, 2007.

1. cody85 macrumors newbie

I am trying to attach a paper that i have just written and then email it to myself. I signed onto my gmail and tried to send it and it said my attachment has a virus. How is that possible if i just wrote it??

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Did GMail tell you that it could have a virus or it definitely did? It is possible I guess for you to create a macro-virus-laden new document if your templates, normal.dot, etc, are infected with it.

It seems like recently there have been more than a few posts about macro viruses. I thought they were pretty much dead for the past six or seven years.... Are they back? :(

3. cody85 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah they told me it had a virus, and i tried to send it from a different emial address and it did the same thing

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I, too, have had some problems sending Word docs from my Powerbook to my school XP machine via email. My ISP is seeing it as corrupted. :confused:

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Maybe the recent MS Office update came with a virus? Wouldn't surprise me. Do you have any virus software that you can run on the file? CalmXav (http://www.clamxav.com/) is free AV software that you can install and check the file.

If you do find a virus let us know the name of it for reference sake.

6. marki macrumors newbie

i am also having a problem sending word/excel attachments via my email.

i think i have a macro virus.

i started getting error messages every time i opened a word document which asked me if i wanted to enable or disable macros. this also happened with some of my excel files too.

i un-installed office and then re-installed it. i also dl'd the current updates for office and installed them onto my computer.

after doing all that it stopped asking about the macro's and now a different error pops up 'word could not fire event'

can anyone help me.. i have called Microsoft and Mac on numerous occasions and everything they have said to do hasn't help.

thanks

7. marki macrumors newbie

also.. after i save my word documents now.. the actual word program closes down on its own.

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

There were three java type files that were classified as viruses. I forgot to take a screenshot. I'm scanning again.

10. marki macrumors newbie

now every time i type something into a cell on excel

a new error comes up 'cant find project or library'

can anyone explain what is going on & how to fix my problems..

thanks

11. Cadence macrumors member

same problem encountered here. Suddenly cannot send my word docs via gmail due to a virus. It asks me to enable or disable the macros when I open the files, which it never did prior. Were any of you able to find this virus or find a fix?

12. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Hmm does indeed sound like a macro virus, then. Could you try saving as rtf or some non-Office type document and see if that allows you to send it? I can't think of anything else for now. Good luck.