Virus or not?

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
I left my iBook unattended for about 15 minutes, with just Safari open with the Macrumors homepage showing. I had previously been browsing beforehand however. So after being online, leaving the window open, and coming back later... I heard the fan on, and the temperature I read was in the 160's. This has never happenned in the 1.5 years I've owned this. What could be the cause of this?

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Mine will do that. I have to force quit the airport process. It's a semi common problem. Next time open up activity monitor and see what it is...

Nuc

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
Right I thought not. ^^ and I opened Activity Monitor and Safari was taking up 50% CPU so I know that Safari is the culprit... but as long as it's not serious I guess I'm fine.
I occasionally have the same problem that Safari gets out of control...it's not that a big deal though...I usually force quit safari restart and everything is back to normal. I also have heard that this happens rather frequently.

byakuya

I'm a ROb

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
Netherlands
I occasionally have the same problem that Safari gets out of control...it's not that a big deal though...I usually force quit safari restart and everything is back to normal. I also have heard that this happens rather frequently.

byakuya
You mean restart safari or reboot your Mac?

Yesterday my iBook went berserk. I was browsing with safari via the airport and doing a lot of plug - unplug of an USB stick (and reading / writing to it from the Terminal). A IM was on as well.
The Finder frooze and wouldn't restart. I had to reboot my Mac :(

I'm a ROb

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
Netherlands
Any flash objects on the screen?
If you're referring to my problem: I was browsing the MR website for most of the time. I didn't surf to much other things...

I did notice in the activity monitor that the page-outs had increased quitte a lot, so perhaps there lies the answer to my problem.

Today I'm doing basically the same thing (althoug I now first cope the data to the HD before accesing it with the terminal) and all goes well.