Virus or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rye9, Aug 30, 2007.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I left my iBook unattended for about 15 minutes, with just Safari open with the Macrumors homepage showing. I had previously been browsing beforehand however. So after being online, leaving the window open, and coming back later... I heard the fan on, and the temperature I read was in the 160's. This has never happenned in the 1.5 years I've owned this. What could be the cause of this?

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Some background app went funny, spotlight comes to mind.

or safari went funny maybe displaying some flash/ other.

3. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Mine will do that. I have to force quit the airport process. It's a semi common problem. Next time open up activity monitor and see what it is...

Nuc

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

5. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Right I thought not. ^^ and I opened Activity Monitor and Safari was taking up 50% CPU so I know that Safari is the culprit... but as long as it's not serious I guess I'm fine.

6. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I occasionally have the same problem that Safari gets out of control...it's not that a big deal though...I usually force quit safari restart and everything is back to normal. I also have heard that this happens rather frequently.

byakuya

7. I'm a ROb macrumors member

You mean restart safari or reboot your Mac?

Yesterday my iBook went berserk. I was browsing with safari via the airport and doing a lot of plug - unplug of an USB stick (and reading / writing to it from the Terminal). A IM was on as well.
    The Finder frooze and wouldn't restart. I had to reboot my Mac :(

8. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

9. I'm a ROb macrumors member

If you're referring to my problem: I was browsing the MR website for most of the time. I didn't surf to much other things...

I did notice in the activity monitor that the page-outs had increased quitte a lot, so perhaps there lies the answer to my problem.

Today I'm doing basically the same thing (althoug I now first cope the data to the HD before accesing it with the terminal) and all goes well.