Virus or something else?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vinson1991, May 10, 2012.

1. vinson1991 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

i got a late 2009 version macbook pro and i've recently found out that i have been a victim of credit card fraud again and this is my only computer and i've always used it to buy things online and the culprit behind it was using it to purchase things online. i tried a lot of anti virus softwares to see if theres any viruses but i cant seem to find any through it. What should i do? Do i have to format it but what about my datas do i have to back it up but how? and does it guarantees that it formats the viruses in the computer?

much appreciated for your help

vinson

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The internet is not the only place you use your credit card, correct? You probably have a weak password on a site where you've stored your credit card info. Make your passwords stronger. Or perhaps the number was taken from a store or restaurant where you used your card.

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

That's a good point. Have you checked with your credit card company? They can identify the actual fraudulent transactions to enable you to check if the problem was, in fact, via your computer.

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Most credit card fraud doesn't originate from something installed on your computer, it originates from grossly negligent businesses of all sizes.

TK Max 14 million cards details stolen.
    Heartland Payment 100 million cards details stolen
    Numerous others in the million to 5 million or so range
    Not to mention small time theft at restaurants, gas stations etc.

So, whilst you should certainly check that your Mac is OK, you really dont need to go wild on formatting and the like, unless you installed apps from an unknown source, and as long as you have kept up to date with patches from Apple compared to all that stuff above, its incredibly unlikely the breach occurred via your computer.
    On the other hand, via that cab ride you had a month ago, or the pizza you bought over the phone and paid for by card, or the restaurant meal the month before that, all bets are off.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Didn't I read this same post on another sub-forum here? Or, was that on an entirely different forum? Anyway, it doesn't sound like a computer problem at all.

6. simsaladimbamba

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
    But as long as you don't install software from unknown and untrusted sources, you are safe, as malware needs administrative permissions to run successfully, which means, you need to install the malware yourself, it can't install itself (one of the reasons, why a Mac OS X virus hasn't appeared yet).
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

7. vinson1991 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys lol cause its not even a month i got my new card and got frauded again. what are the odds.

:)