Virus or Spyware on my mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EastCoastLove, Mar 1, 2011.

1. EastCoastLove macrumors member

I keep getting random pop ups directing to me to random websites. I don't know how to help it. If i search on google and click a link it will redirect me to an ad. I attached a couple of screen shots that keep popping up, also while i'm on the internet, they'll just pop up. It's always a different one. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

In Safari, make sure the "Block Pop-Up Windows" box is checked.

Attached Files:

3. simsaladimbamba

Checked your DNS settings yet in the Network preferences?

And as there are no viruses for Mac OS X currently in public circulation, you most likely don't have one.
    Btw, MRoogle is a good toll to search for already exisitng answer for many problems: "google redirect"

4. EastCoastLove thread starter macrumors member

It's always been checked, this a recent problem. I have cleared the cache and cookies. Still continues.

5. EastCoastLove thread starter macrumors member

How do i go about doing this?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

System Preferences > Network > AirPort > Advanced > DNS

7. EastCoastLove thread starter macrumors member

What do i need to check for once I go into this?

8. simsaladimbamba

OS X Tips: How To Check Your DNS Settings
    via "mac os x check dns"

Though the ggjSTUDIO might have already answered it.

Post the DNS addresses listed there in here. Normally you don't need one in there, I have my router (AEBS) listed in there.
    Have you taken a look at any of the other threads discussing the same?

9. EastCoastLove thread starter macrumors member

I've tried searching google but i can't find anything.

10. simsaladimbamba

Okay, if the following doesn't help:
    what about listing the DNS servers?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

12. Whitelightning macrumors regular

Despite being no known viruses available for Mac... what about Adware or Spyware... like when you go to sites with a popup or something like that that that happens to put say "Doubleclick" on your computer... it is very common in windows... couldn't junk like this apply to a Mac too despite no known viruses? Or is OSX invulnerable to such spyware/adware?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The vast majority of adware and spyware is Windows-oriented and cannot run on Mac OS X. Use of a simple ad-blocker and using Safari's pop-up blocking will eliminate most, if not all, of those pop-ups and annoying ads.

14. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

These usually target a specific operating system and browser combination. For example targetting Vista computers running IE 8.

There are only a couple of trojans for Macs and all are easily treated with commonly available, free products like ClamAV.

/end thread.

15. Whitelightning macrumors regular

The way it worked on windows is, I would go to a site, say a popup, or advertisement is on the page... somehow loads some junk on the computer which my Spybot Search and Destroy picks up and removes it, even in cases when there are NO popups from the site or are blocked from adaware (most likely due to serverside javascript maybe)

Say I had an ad blocker as you suggested, and decided to go to a site that may be sketchy like those big content farm sites that has nothing related to what I was searching for... and I left the page....

I would be able to emerge unscaythed? If there is even the slightest possibility that something adware or spyware could potentially be loaded on my computer... it would be nice if there was some mechanism to at least kind of know about the junk being put on my machine and how to get rid of it.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, they're easily avoided with common sense and some education about malware, without the need for ClamXav or other anti-virus software.
    ... or not.
    The only malware that threatens Mac OS X today are trojans, which can only infect your Mac if you actively download and install them, which usually involves entering your admin password. Please read this to understand malware as it relates to Mac OS X:

17. Whitelightning macrumors regular

That is very reassuring to know that OSX handles all of that and I don't need to worry about it. Thanks.