Virus Protection for 10.5.8 on G5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Davy.Shalom, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

So I was thinking...as Leopard gets older and Apple eventually stops updating the security features, will there be more need to go out and buy a program like Norton Antivirus for mac? We mac users take pride in NOT having to have antivirus programs like the PC market, but is it advisable?

I'm wondering if I should buy Norton for mac (only $50, which I thought was reasonable,) to install on my PM G5. What are your guys' thoughts?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

no

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

There are no viruses in the wild that impact current OSx. The important thing to do is not install software you don't trust such as programs from dodgy sites. I've been running OSx since 2004 with no antivirus and have had no problems.

5. Acsom macrumors regular

Tab napping.

Now see, I just read this on another forum, which prompted my visit here to look. The writer is a reasonably savvy guy. Note that it took a full manual overnight scan, Norton didn't prevent the attack.

And now there is "tab napping", which crosses all platforms:

Beware of "tab napping attacks...

The scary thing about tab napping is that takes advantage of the user's false sense of security, in knowing he/she is immune; as we all know, AV programs will prevent stealth attacks, but are useless if you open the door and invite the attacker in.

First line of defense: constant awareness and vigilance.
    Second line of defense: Mac, or up to date AV on Windows.
    Third and all other lines of defense: constant awareness and vigilance.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No antivirus protects against user failures. Trojans can easily be prevented on a Mac by paying attention and being careful when you install anything, especially being careful when you enter your admin password.
    Redirects, bogus malware warnings, phishing attempts and other browser-related scams have been around for quite a while. While they can be annoying, they can't harm your Mac unless you actually download and install something. Any internet user should be careful when entering login or personal information on any site.
    ^ This.

7. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

You can easily receive a Windows virus via email, download or web site. Even though your machine can't be infected with it, you can most certainly pass it on to other computers. Who knows how many Windows machines have been compromised by viruses they received from Mac users???
    :eek:

People who view this as morally/ethically unacceptable typically attain their responsibility status by using ClamXav. It's free/donation-ware, uses very little resources and works well. There are a number of av programs out there but I personally don't know of anyone using them so I can't comment on them.
    :D

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Only those Windows users who are foolish enough to run Windows without AV protection. It's not a Mac user's responsibility to protect Windows users. Each user has the responsibility to protect their own computer. If a Windows user is running without AV protection, the threat of receiving infected files from a Mac user is almost non-existent, compared to the threats from other sources.

9. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I totally agree; the Mac user is responsible for his Mac and the Window's users is responsible for his machine.

As for threats, well, a virus is a virus. Everyone uses email and email viruses do not care whose computer they are mailed to. I have to say its been fairly quiet on my computer lately. I haven't detected a virus for a month or so.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you've detected a virus in the past few months, it was a Windows virus.

11. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

A quick comment for the OP; you don't need the antivirus, especially with your system. No one is going to make new viruses for an outdated architecture, especially when there are more Intel Macs in regular use.