Virus Protection Software?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Liffey, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Liffey macrumors regular

I recently purchased my first Mac, an i5, it's supposed to arrive on Thursday. Anyways, I was wondering if there's any recommended virus protection software I should be using for the mac? Thanks in advance for the help. :)

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not really necessary. Just don't download anything from questionable sources.

3. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

you can use mcafee virus protection if you really want but there is no need for any antivirus software at the moment. just be careful with what you download as pervious poster said.

4. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

no need for antivirus programms on osx , only if you run windows you need such system slow downs

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

6. MT0227 macrumors 6502

I agree, don't bother. These programs just hog the performance of your machine and are not really needed, especially on a Mac platform. Just backup you essential files as you add new ones to the population...a much better alternative in preserving your essential files in my book.

7. Liffey thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome. I knew Macs didn't get too many, but still wanted to be sure if it was recommended. Thanks for the help. :)

8. Stonefly macrumors regular

Stonefly

Like the others said, no real need for it. All I did was turn my firewall on in system preferences, security.

9. rootsmaneuver macrumors member

VirusBarrier

Although I do agree with the majority here that anti-virus software isn't really necessary on Mac, I use VirusBarrier X5. I got it as part of a MacUpdate Bundle a couple years ago. It runs smoothly and powerfully in the background. I don't even know its there unless the update window pops up. I have found a virus with this before and even used it to scan a roommates PC through the network. Found the problem and eliminated it. my 2 cents.

PS - VirusBarrier X6 is out and has way more features. ALSO ClamXav, which I used to use, is FREE. It just takes a little more manual labor.

10. mac88 macrumors 6502

Congrats on your purchase. As everyone has said, there is really no need. Enjoy your machine! :D

11. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Running into a Virus on a Mac is like finding a needle in a haystack, virus protection is really not necessary unless you plan on dual booting Windows.

If you really want a Virus protector though, grab clamXav, you can find it here.

12. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Download what you want, there are no mac viruses.

13. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

They really need to sticky a thread about Mac viruses, people ask every week if they need an anti-virus.

14. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Exactly.

Not even a needle in a haystack.

More like a unicorn in Central Park.