Virus protection???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by laurenmc25, Feb 24, 2009.

1. laurenmc25 macrumors newbie

I'm new to Macs and was wondering about virus protection. I've heard I don't need any but sometimes when I'm logging into MySpace I get a warning about potential virus threats and some sort of scanning system starts up. I managed to get this url from it. liteantimalwarescan.com

Is this something I need to worry about? Is it a virus and do I need virus protection?

Thanks!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

there are no viruses for Mac. You can get trojans if you download pirated software. the question has been answered many times in the forum - try searching before posting.

The popups or warnings about infection are simply scams and should be ignored.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There ARE no viruses in the wild that affect Mac OS X.
    No antivirus software can detect a Mac virus, because no Mac viruses exist.
    There are trojans that exist, but these can be easily avoided if:
    • you are careful what applications you install
    • you are careful where you get applications
    • you never enter your administrative password without THINKING!
    You also may not be aware that this question, like many others, has already been discussed quite a bit (beat to death, actually!) Using MRoogle to search the forums before you post will frequently reveal threads related to your question that the standard forum search misses, and will help you avoid posting repetitive threads. Here are some of the dozens of threads on this topic, filled with opinions and recommendations:

One thread that you may find particularly helpful is this one: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=7066120

4. laurenmc25 thread starter macrumors newbie

As I'm totally new to all this, I wasn't aware. Thanks.