Virus scanners for OS 10.3, and upgrading to 10.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by toroidal boat, Feb 20, 2014.

1. toroidal boat macrumors newbie

What are some good virus scanners that are still updated for 10.3, preferably free or at least inexpensive, and definitely legal, and are not Norton AV nor Virex 7 trial version, nor ClamxAV?

I say ClamxAV because (1) I already have it, and (2) the developer made it so that downloading the definitions via the program for any version older than one that runs on 10.4 disables the older version from being able to scan.

(Is there a legal way to get the definitions to work on an older version)?

My other question is, if I install 10.4 from the install DVD on a fossil system running 10.3 (a PPC Mac Mini), will I still be able to boot into 10.3 after?

Thank you for your time.

2. tampasteve macrumors 6502

I am not sure that anything will be current for 10.3

As for the above question, no. If you partition the hdd and then install then you would have two bootable volumes, but if you just run the install over the current version then 10.3 goes away and is upgraded to 10.4. Unless you have a specific reason to stay on 10.3 I would highly recommend going to 10.4 or 10.5 on your PPC Mac mini.

But you may want to post the questions in the PPC forum, there are a lot of users using PPC systems that can help with any questions.