Virus Software... Really needed on a MAC?? The truth.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by olletsocmit, Jul 22, 2010.

1. olletsocmit macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

Do i Really need virus software on a MAC? I just switched to a MAC a month ago (love MAC). The rumor among PC users is that MAC users don't need to use virus software b/c there are not any MAC viruses. True or False? I am thinking it is not worth getting it b/c of the lack of viruses and the fact that Time Machine backs up my mac every hour. If i do get a virus... i can just restore my comp to an hour previous to the virus. Would the virus software just spare me the hassle of restoring threw Time Machine? Its a pain in the ass to fix a PC after a virus... but i don't think it will be such a hassle on my MAC.

If i do need virus software for my MAC... What exactly will it do that i cant fix with a simple restore threw Time Machine. What software should i get?

On a PC i did things like... registry cleanup, defraging hard drive, etc. Do u need to do things like this on a MAC?

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

On the virus front, it is true that not many viruses exist for OSX. However, in today's world you are exchanging files with users of Windows machines, and having an anti-virus can detect if one of them was in a file that you receive.

Typically the software also provides some additional features that might be useful.

Is it needed? not really, it is a good idea? probably, especially if you are new to OSX and probably have a lot of files from your old system.

my 2c.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Please read the following carefully:

There are currently NO/ZERO viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only some malware titles you have to manually install by entering your password.

Time Machine will make hourly backups, but it doesn't work like System Restore in Windows. You can migrate a TM backup to a fresh installation of Mac OS X though.

I run Mac OS X since 2004 and have never infected my OS with some kind of malware due to my caring about what I install. So if you don't install everything without a thought and know what the source of the download is, you should be more than safe.

4. olletsocmit thread starter macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

Thanks dude. The only problem i have with virus software is that it makes the computer soo damn slow! I had a super fast Alien Ware PC, but when i would run virus software on it... it was hella slow.

I am more worried about being caught for illegal downloads then getting a virus when downloading from other people. There is not good software for mac to protect my ip and block people from watching what i am downloading. On PC there is software called Peer Guardian 2 which is amazing. There is nothing even close for mac. there is a ver for mac, but it sucks. I have seen sites that are out of the country that u pay like 10 bucks a month and they do the blocking for you.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are exactly zero viruses in the wild that run on current Mac OS X.
    Mac users don't need to worry about receiving virus-infected files from Windows users, as Windows viruses can't run on Mac OS X. Every Windows user should be running AV, so it's not a Mac user's responsibility to protect Windows users.
    Be aware that if you download and install software from torrent sites or other less than reputable sources, you run the risk of installing a trojan, which CAN infect your Mac. Read the link spinnerlys posted to understand the difference.

By the way, a computer made by Apple is a Mac, not a MAC. MAC is Media Access Control.

6. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

The smartest anti-virus is to simply watch what you're downloading. As earlier stated, there are no viruses for OS X in the wild (at the time of this writing), with the exception of a few trojans, which rely on the user to be installed. If you download from trusted sources and use common sense, you will never have a problem. OS X is built on top of a UNIX distro, so it really is a much more secure system than Windows could ever hope to be.

7. Horus macrumors regular

Horus

This, I really hate when people say MAC instead of Mac.

8. BurningJah macrumors regular

better be safe then sorry! I say
    I know they say that there are NO virusses for Mac! but hey, who knows for sure

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It would be world wide knowledge and Microsoft would make sure to spin that tidbit of an existing Mac OS X virus for their good.

As long as the AV software doesn't hog the CPU, why shouldn't one use it anyway? I used AV software for some months, but every once in a while it took 98% of my C2D CPU, so the AV software was thrown off.

10. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

This cannot be understated. One of the most discussed malware to hit OS X recently was a trojan embedded in a torrent of iWork '09. The trojan's writer knew that the average user would expect to have to enter an admin password to allow the install, and took advantage of it (to install a keylogger, if I remember correctly, but others are free to correct me on this).

Trojans are not viruses; they have to ask you to allow them to do their damage. True viruses work and spread without the user's knowledge or explicit permission.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Because no one on the planet can name even one that exists.
    Quite right: http://www.intego.com/news/ism0901.asp

12. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Good to know, not many and zero are close ;)

I disagree there. If the OP still has PCs at home, and has lets say grandma using a PC, then it does help them that he is not passing infected files around.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Windows users are at risk from malware from many more sources than just receiving files from Mac users. If a Windows user is not running AV, their risk of infection is MUCH higher, even if a Mac user screens files before sending. If the Windows user is running AV, it will screen files from all sources, not just Mac users.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

16. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

I hate it when i Google/eBay Search Mac and all i see is MAC COSMETICS or what ever its called.

17. Gregg2 macrumors 603

18. MikeyG10is macrumors newbie

Norton detected a trojan on my mac

Hi, I was under the impression that there were no viruses for mac. I do run parallels with Windows 7 but definitely do not download much from windows. However, recently I have detected 3 trojan horses. Norton will not repair them or even quarantine them. Is this something that I can get help with? Will I have to format my hard drive to get rid of them?

Thanks!

I've attached the picture of the norton detection window.

Attached Files:

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are no viruses in the wild that run on current Mac OS X. There are trojans, which require the user to download and install, entering your admin password in the process.
    A trojan is not a virus. Read the link posted in the 3rd post of this thread to understand the difference.
    No, you don't have to worry about them. They can't affect your Mac, as they are Windows trojans:
    Picture 2.jpg