Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dissenter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
After reseting safari I've noticed that my deleted cookies are reappearing. It takes a little bit of time to happen, few minutes or hours. The cookies list has cookies from sites I haven't been to in a while. Anyone else run into this? Searches didn't yield anything.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
After reseting safari I've noticed that my deleted cookies are reappearing. It takes a little bit of time to happen, few minutes or hours. The cookies list has cookies from sites I haven't been to in a while. Anyone else run into this? Searches didn't yield anything.
Cookies are created whenever you visit websites. Just because you delete them doesn't mean you'll never have cookies again. What sites are the cookies from? Also, when you visit a site, you may get cookies from that site and from other sites that are linked to that site. You don't have to actually visit a site to get cookies from it.

There are no viruses in existence that can run on your Mac.

Dokter_Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2005
Hi.
If I would be you I would launch the 'KeyChain' application in the Utlity folder.
I'm pretty sure that the 'problem' could be found there...

If you have Cocktail, Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner, Oni (which is free) or any other maintenance program, try cleaning your Mac. These programs work very well.

If you run one of these apps make sure that you select to remove cookies from all users! That includes the Library on your 'Macintosh HD' or any other Library like the Shared one.

Sincerely. :apple::apple::apple:

Dokter_Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2005

Very good link!
I always check those folders every two weeks.

Never the less I also bought a program called 'MacScan' for scanning cookies. Once and a while this program has found malicious cookies... The cookie database renews every month. The malicious cookies are always safely removed.

Never the less, one is free on how he/she maintains their Mac(s). Manual or with a program (shareware/freeware)... It's not my intension to promote any of the above programs ;) :apple:

Hal Itosis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2010
You probably didn't delete them. Read this: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/08/you-deleted-your-cookies-think-again/

Very good link!
I always check those folders every two weeks.
The cute part is that they don't even mention Safari's "LocalStorage" folder.
Yet, soon as we visit that Wired page:

Code:
$ [COLOR="Blue"]ls -log ~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage |grep -i wired[/COLOR]
-rw-r--r--@ 1    6144 Feb  9 02:43 http_wiredepicenter.disqus.com_0.localstorage
-rw-r--r--@ 1    6144 Feb  9 02:43 http_www.wired.com_0.localstorage
[not that they're necessarily using either of those files to regenerate cookies... but i'd imagine such a thing would be possible]

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Flash cookies can repopulate your browser cookies. Delete your Flash cookies.

The bottom of this post from another thread shows how to make an Automator app that deletes Flash cookies.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Flash cookies can repopulate your browser cookies. Delete your Flash cookies.

The bottom of this post from another thread shows how to make an Automator app that deletes Flash cookies.
You can also simply delete them manually. Just delete everything in the following folders:
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/#SharedObjects
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
You can also simply delete them manually. Just delete everything in the following folders:
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/#SharedObjects
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys

If you delete them fairly often, it is much more efficient to create an Automator app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.