Virus, trojan, malware

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nitro1, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

I am looking for a good scanner to scan downloaded files for Virus, trojans, malware and anything that can hurt my computer.

Thanks for the idea's

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Please be sure to search the forums as this is a very common question (as in weekly). Look up info on ClamXAV and iAntivirus. Also, as you'll often hear, Mac OSX has no true in-the-wild viruses, only a couple trojans that are kind of hard to get.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Please search next time. We get about a dozen of these questions a day.

No viruses on OS X.

ClamXAV = Windows threats and is free.
    iAntiVirus = OS X threats and is free.

5. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

ClamXAV and iAtniVirus ftw! I use them in my part-time IT job.

6. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

I did search and i got the same answers. But most of the software i found is not a scanner but a prevention software. I am looking for a scanner.

And i know OS X does not have viruses but outside files can have viruses or trojans and that is why i need a scanner.

I will also be accessing these downloaded files on Windows with Bootcamp and i am unsure if viruses will get on there and not the OS X partition.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Huh? To the best of my knowledge, antivirus software comes in two flavors--scanners and disinfection tools. Most do both. I have difficulty even conceiving of a utility that could prevent a virus without scanning for infections. If you have specific examples of some that do, then by all means share their names.

Before you do that, make sure that you understand the meaning of prevention. MacOS X's malware prevention is an integral part of the OS design, not a third-party commercial or freeware add-on. These include the UNIX permissions model and the MacOS X's object-oriented design. Some of Apple's controversial business practices also prevent the distribution of malware. An example of this is the fact only Apple DRM is allowed on iTunes and the iPod. Malware distributors cannot buy a DRM license and then use it to distribute malware on the Mac.