Virus, Trojan, something else?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bmoorhouse, Apr 30, 2010.

1. bmoorhouse macrumors regular

My computer sent an email to about 50 people yesterday with an attached zip file. The email had no subject, and the zip file contained about 20GB worth of documents off my computer. Most of the recipients are not in my addressbook, but all were people whom I have emailed before. The name of the attachment ends with documents-1-1.mailhold.zip.

Does anyone know what cause be email to get sent? Was this a virus, a Trojan, or something else?

Thanks for the help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What Mac OS version do you have?

There are currently and presently (maybe in the future) NO viruses for Mac OS X, but some malware, which you have to install manually.

So did you install anything lately? Or do other persons have access to you Mac directly or via network?

And how can you send emails (or whatever caused it) with attachments that are 20GB big? Or did you mean MB?

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Is the sent email in your Outbox/Sent folder?
    What kind of email account is it e.g., hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc.?
    Are you using Mail or do you access your email from the web site of your email?

4. bmoorhouse thread starter macrumors regular

I am on 10.4 and send mail using Apple Mail andhe IMAP protocol. The account is provided through my ISP, and the domain is a private one that I have for my business. I don't know if the outgoing email is in my Sent folder, but can check later tonight.

I have not installed any software recently.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: i meant to add that I meant MB vice GB.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It could potentially be a worm. I found the Worm:OSX/Tored.A doing some searches, and it sounds like it has the characteristics that you're describing. This was a proof-of-concept worm that is low threat, but multiple versions have been released since the original. I couldn't find removal instructions. Some sites said if you download and pay for some certain virus software it could take care of things, but don't they always claim that?