Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nzbelinda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Help! We've got an iMac running 10.6.8, iPads, iPhones, a Macbook and a Windows laptop and have turned everything off and its the iMac with the issue.

We've got 150GB data per month, which should be plenty, but we are using it in just a few days - and not even using the imac! It runs constantly, but just receiving std emails and for the occasional web search. Everything else is done by phone or ipad.

I found a torrent app on here last month which I deleted, and the data dropped right back to normal, for a week. Then it jumped right up again.

The firewall is switched on in system prefs, and I've also tried the "block all incoming connections" but watching the data usage on suplusmonitor, it is not decreasing at all!
I've been through all other apps, and there is nothing but the basics, and searched online with no answers. Does anyone have any ideas what to do other than leaved it switched off!!?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Help! We've got an iMac running 10.6.8, iPads, iPhones, a Macbook and a Windows laptop and have turned everything off and its the iMac with the issue.

We've got 150GB data per month, which should be plenty, but we are using it in just a few days - and not even using the imac! It runs constantly, but just receiving std emails and for the occasional web search. Everything else is done by phone or ipad.

I found a torrent app on here last month which I deleted, and the data dropped right back to normal, for a week. Then it jumped right up again.

The firewall is switched on in system prefs, and I've also tried the "block all incoming connections" but watching the data usage on suplusmonitor, it is not decreasing at all!
I've been through all other apps, and there is nothing but the basics, and searched online with no answers. Does anyone have any ideas what to do other than leaved it switched off!!?
First, you don't have a virus, since there are none in the wild that can affect OS X. There are only a handful of trojans that must be installed before they can infect, and none produce the symptoms you described. When something is happening on a Mac that is not expected or understood, malware should be the last possibility you consider, not the first.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

As for your issue, you should launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" to "All Processes" to see what all is running on your system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.