"Virus" via email

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by airplaneman, May 27, 2011.

1. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Not sure what to call this (see screenshots)—malware? I was in Yahoo! mail and opened up an order confirmation for an Amazon order. This popped up. After taking some screenshots, I force-quitted Chrome (version 11.0.696.71). The email opened up fine the next time around. Anyone have idea how this cropped up? I don't do illicit stuff on my Mac (see sig), such as torrenting, going to untrustworthy sites, etc. and since it seems to be web-based, it just may be a problem within the mail client. However, if anyone has a slightly better clue about what's going on, I'd love some tips :).

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's called MacDefender. Google it. All you have to do is close the window and delete the Zip file it downloads.

3. airplaneman, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011

airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks; I have heard of it (MacRumors front page ;) ) but didn't recognize it. Thanks a million.

EDIT: uhhhh can't find the .zip file
    EDIT 2: found the variant: http://blog.intego.com/2011/05/06/macdefender-macsecurity-malware-gets-a-bit-more-sophisticated/ I don't think it had the chance to download the "anti-malware.zip", as a search of my Macintosh HD brings up nothing

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
    The first section of that link deals specifically with the MacDefender/MacSecurity/MacProtector/MacGuard issue, which is not a virus. I encourage you to read it.

5. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link.