"Virus warning" keeps appearing when using eBay

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ignatzmouse, Jan 21, 2014.

1. ignatzmouse macrumors newbie

Hi there, i'm having difficulty using eBay, a "warning" page pops up, purportedly from:

http://update.google-android-safe.com (written in bold)

underneath, it says:

Warning:Your phone has (13) Virus!

The Virus may comput you date ...........(not my typo)

Please follow instructions to remove Virus

Then the "OK" button.

When the page is up, i can't do anything else on Safari and have to quit.

I am running an old (White) Intel iMac, Tiger (10.4.11) 2.16Ghz

Yes i know this computer is over 10 years old and few people run Tiger anymore but i love it, and would rather not upgrade just yet.

Anyone know what is happening or how i can get rid of this problem? Only occurs on eBay
    I can't see anything strange going on in the Activity monitor when viewing 'all processes"

Thanks in advance

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Delete your cookies and see if that helps. You can also try deleting your hosts file (you'll have to look up how to do that) since eBay may be re-directed to another website by a malicious hosts entry.

3. Ddiier Misson macrumors newbie

Same problem on Android Nexus S
    when I use the Tweetcaster application.

Seem to be a ad in Tweetcaster ?
    Seem not have other problem. Only Tweetcaster every 3 or 4 clics this page start, and after run Google Play Store.

Not yet make an action.
    I currently Google to see if other have the same problem...

4. forza1337 macrumors newbie

Hi, i got the same problem too. It just occured today. But it happened not on a mac or anything from apple. It happened on my Samsung galaxy S4. Couldn't find anything else via google but this thread. So sorry apple lovers, but this Samsung guy has also a problem =)

Hope somebody has a solution for this. It only happens with my twitter (tweetcaster) app.

Kind regards,

----------

We seem to have the same prob =)

It started today with me. How about you?

5. Ddiier Misson macrumors newbie

Hello Forza

Yes, it start today morning too (January 21th).

I just post a message on Google+ about this.
    Not yet answer...
    I not yet try to install an anti-virus software (NOT the 360... "recommended" by this)

----------

I send a mail to the registrar ABUSE@enom.com about this domain "google-android-safe.com"

6. samehere macrumors newbie

Exactly the same here.. Old white Intel, 10.4.11.. and keep on getting the same warning pop-up when using eBay!

Anyone got any idea what's going on?

Presume that it's an ad on eBay that most users are secured against, but because we're using an old system, we're open to it?

Anything to worry about?

Cheers

7. forza1337 macrumors newbie

Hi Ddiier,

Please keep me posted about your actions. I do have installed that anti virus software. First i was afraid that it would be an even greater virus, but seeing in the google store that it was downloaded more than 10.000.000 times, i decided to give it a shot.

It didn't help very much and deleted it after. I'll try tonite do delete my tweetcaster app and to reinstall it. See if that brings something. I am bothered by seemingly random people who are also been infected on twitter. All of them tweet russian stuff to me while they ain't following me at twitter, and i don't follow them. Pretty funny and quite annoying.

Anyway, i hope that it will help to delete the app and reinstall it. When i've done it, i report myself once again here =)

Take care.

8. ibesiano macrumors newbie

Appears on 10.5.8 macs aswell

Hmm

This has appeared on two of my colleagues Mac Minis when they were on ebay (instead of working ;)).

It then downloads two apk files

appmarket_2.02.apk and mobogenie_122140032.apk

Any ideas what is happening?

9. tomtomtomtom macrumors newbie

Quote "This has appeared on two of my colleagues Mac Minis when they were on ebay (instead of working ).
    It then downloads two apk files
    appmarket_2.02.apk and mobogenie_122140032.apk
    Any ideas what is happening?"

Exactly this has happened to me too
    Have a G5 power mac 2.5 dc

The following is what I know
    Ebay are allowing some very unsavoury ''business'' advertise recently
    Anyone notice?
    I called ebay, not their problem I was told, they were even interested enough to call me back the following day.
    Their advise was to buy another computer.
    Reading or (listening) between the lines, they know of the problem, they know that somehow they are responsible but neither know or care further.
    When enough people complain and the threat of it going legal, only then will they do something about it.
    NEXT
    If you look at your title bar after downloading, it shows a long and different web name that is unable to complete but its linked to a company posing as german but in fact is chinese called avaza network.
    I think that due to the unprofessionalism of their website they are nothing more than a company scamming for business!!!
    FINALLY
    Dont get rid of your computer! Theres nothing wrong with it!
    Be patient. Something will show up.

10. pre-intel, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

pre-intel macrumors newbie

The Virus may comput you date andriod

for all it's worth I have suffered this bogus bollocks too!

I have no answers to offer but this is my situation

I am running OSX 10 .5.8 on a G4 ( last model PowerBook made)

I assumed because I am chugging on with Camino (against their advice!) it was my fault.

I liked Camino for ebay as you can block all the banner ads which slow down browsing as you have to watit for a load of imagies you don't want. You can down load ad block for Safari from Apple or go to the web site direct for the Google version. I now had adblock plus on ten4fox which has a drop down window showing all the most blocked sites

Using tenfourfox now.........no problems with the pop up screen freeze so far.

Although Safari crashes all the time for me, I have not had the virus pop up.

It is annoying - the downloaded .apk don't seem to do anything.
    I assumed it is a phone trojan/virus which as I was using an old insecure browser was targeting me

I have only been "attacked" on ebay....... so how /why is that happening?

Is this some tracking cookie hack?

I put the http://google-android-safe.com into the browser and got a load of gobbly gook which confirmed the poor graphics for the google play logo were fake!

11. tomtomtomtom macrumors newbie

Deleting cookies and previously mentioned things makes no difference.
    So dont bother!
    Because macs dont let in the virus or whatever it is, you dont have to let it crash your computer
    So heres what to do...
    Allow the download! its blocked anyway
    Then you will see this address in the title bar!

http://seth.avazutracking.net/track...mF2&rgid=YXp1NjI0&kw=t0zuxcle31zr&vurl=2_2068

Click back on your browser and it will take you to where you were on ebays page

One other tip that appears to work for no particular reason is
    Dont click anywhere on ebays page for no reason
    It reduces the amount of ''crashes'' you will have

I had issues on computers before, funny thing was they disappeared in a few days....wonder if this will happen here............

12. pre-intel, Jan 22, 2014

13. pre-intel, Jan 22, 2014

blocking download site

Still no visits so far and when I put the url in I get a blocked page. Hopefully that is the end to it!

...........difficult to prove a negative I know!

14. pre-intel, Jan 22, 2014

eBay FIX - The Virus may comput you date update.google-android-safe.com

Having blocked http://update.google-android-safe.com in my router preferences I can now share the joy of this being a working fix.

Be reassured you can Browse ebay with only the slight inconvenience of having to hit "back" when you get the router's "blocked" page come up rather than the freeze of the anti virus download page.........all this will be a real pain if you like to bid in the last moments of a listing though!

15. tomtomtomtom macrumors newbie

Success! I think........

Its 26 hours since my first attack and now it has STOPPED!
    I think its safe to say it was one of these ''24 hour'' viruses
    Will report any further issues with this
    The router block thing is interresting
    Could someone advise on how to do this as I dont know

16. dgreylock macrumors newbie

This seems to just be a popup ad that appears on many sites. I noticed it now on the Star Tribune (Minneapolis) site. I use an Android phone. My only option if I don't want to click OK is to force-close the browser. Turning off JavaScript keeps ads from showing, but I do need javascript for other sites.
    So it is annoying and immoral but not anything to worry about, virus-wise.
    Maybe if enough users complain to the websites carrying these ads, they will force their 3rd party ad providers to weed them out!

17. rankinmikee macrumors newbie

rankinmikee

It's probably just Safari trying to censor the internet areas which it has no control over, in an effort to get you purchase more of their own apps. Google Chrome is a way safer browser, easier to use and generally more intuitive.