Virus?? - XP Partition & External Drive Scanning

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Beercraven, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Beercraven macrumors newbie

I am rescuing a PC using Knoppix and and external hard drive. I've moved all the important documents over to the external drive and was going to scan the info on that drive with AVG Free, while wiping the PC and starting fresh.

I want to scan the external drive so I'm not just reloading a virus onto the wiped PC.

Here's where it gets tricky - I will use VMware Fusion on my mac to log into my Windows XP partition I installed with Bootcamp. The virus software is on the XP partition and is fully up to date and working. When I plug in the external drive to my mac, is there a possibility of the virus jumping into my XP partition? If so, what would you recommend to avoid this?

Is there a better way to go about this whole back up that anyone can think of?

Thanks!

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

Yes its possible, if your AV on the XP partition does not know what that virus is. Maybe go get clamxav and scan it with OS X and leave windows out of the equasion?

http://www.clamxav.com/