Virus?!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Doxis, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Doxis, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2011

Doxis macrumors newbie

So I have 2 questions, is there any viruses out there for the os X systems (imac) and i haven't seen any anti virus programs ether, is there no viruses? :D
    I'm an windows user and soon mac user that's why I ask, because on windows so is it around 300 different anti virus programs,
    Best regards

2. xTRIGGER092x, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2011

xTRIGGER092x macrumors regular

No, there are no viruses out in the wild. That being said, spyware and trojans DO exist, but there aren't many. So, don't get an antivirus; get a scanner such as ClamXAV just to do the occasional check (for both Mac infections and Windows infections, which won't do anything to your system but could be passed on to your Windows-using friends).

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus software to protect Mac OS X from malware. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

4. palm57 macrumors newbie

You can always get an antivirus, as they sell them for Mac, if you want to be better safe than sorry (and need to ease out of your Windows mindset haha). I actually do have antivirus juuust because I'm paranoid, and came from a Dell that was hell from day 1. I use Trend Micro Smart Surfing for Mac, which was suggested when I bought my MBP from Best Buy earlier this year. No harm in doing, and it's not that expensive, but of course it's the idea of buying it, too.

5. Doxis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, if we don't need anti virus programs so will I skip it :)

Sended with tapatalk.
    Www.youtube.com/Kogizu
    Subscribe please

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Have run ClamXav since the get go, never had a positive. OS X is safe by default, all the same it`s worth running the ClamXav sentry if you are dealing with a mixed environment, think of it as helping our "Windows" brothers & sisters out :cool: What`s passed on to you may not infect your Mac, however it may cause issue for family, friends & colleagues...

ClamXav is very customizable, I limit the "Sentry" on demand scan to a very few specific folders; Downloads, Documents & Desktop, unless there is any change in the files the "Sentry" will not consume any significant resource. Same folders are set up for an automated scan daily. My older machine is a MacBook Pro 4.1 (2.4Ghz) the impact of ClamXav is negligible at best, my newer MacBook pro is a 8.2 (2.4Ghz Core i7) and ClamXav hardly registers :p

If you are going to be receiving mail/data/documents and forwarding on, ClamXav offers an elegant solution that costs you nothing. In the professional environment passing data with a malicious payload does you no favors; be it corporate or freelance ;)

7. Doxis thread starter macrumors newbie

I have make viruses to windows and it isn't hard at all. It's maybe harder on xcode os X ;)
    Thanks alot for the help :)

Sended with tapatalk.
    Www.youtube.com/Kogizu
    Subscribe please

8. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

I could probably dig up a copy of the old Scores virus from the floppies in my basement. Trouble is, you'd have to install System 7 to get it to work, and I doubt that's possible on a modern Mac.

Mac viruses pretty much went extinct in the last half of the 90's, and have yet to stage a resurgence.
    What's being seen nowadays are Trojans:

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&src=support_site.home.search&locale=en_US&q=Trojans

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is a legitimate reason to get antivirus software for MacOS X. However, it is not to protect you system from MacOS X viruses--because there aren't any. MacOS X antivirus software disinfects Windows viruses. MacOS X antivirus will also protect your files from those nasty System 6 and System 7 viruses like nVIR and WDEF. Of course, those viruses ran on MC68000-based Macs and are just so many random bits to Intel-based computers. But, still....