virus

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wazhushk, Jan 26, 2012.

1. wazhushk macrumors newbie

Hello out there,

I'm looking for a hard drive cleaner.

I heard about Macscan. Any thoughts ?

and what about Mackeeper, after I debug.

Ken

2. GGJstudios, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    Stay away from "maintenance" apps like MacKeeper, as they can actually reduce performance.

3. wazhushk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that GGJ,
    I guess my thought is about about trojans.
    I opened a email from a business friend, and the message was to, click here
    and see photo. Of course I did and there was nothing there ( I thought )
    Shortly after I was getting messages from friends saying they could not open the message.
    The next day hotmail closed down my account saying something to the to the effect, there were to many suspect emails coming from my account.

I later changed me email password. Things seem better now, but I still have friends that won't open my emails. because their systems say that the messages are bugged.

Ken

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said in my first post, you can't infect your Mac simply by opening an email attachment. You have to actively install a trojan, which usually involves entering your admin password during the installation process.

Your email account was likely hacked, which has nothing to do with your computer or malware. If you use a secure password, there is less chance of your email account being compromised.

5. wazhushk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, again for your input GGJ.
    I've put the issue to rest...Thanks again.
    Ken