Virusbarrier or Norton Antivirus?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Doublewire, Dec 6, 2008.

  1. Doublewire macrumors member

    Doublewire

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2008
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #1
    Got my MacBook a couple weeks ago. I know it's hard for Macs to get viruses but I'd prefer not to take any chances. Which is better, do you guys think? Oh, and I was also wondering how many slots there are for RAM in a MacBook, I think it's two but I wanted to verify.
     
  2. MacDawg macrumors P6

    MacDawg

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    "Between the Hedges"
    #2
    Never, ever use Norton... ever

    You don't need an AV

    Never, ever use Norton... ever

    Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
     
  3. Doublewire thread starter macrumors member

    Doublewire

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2008
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #3
    Hahaha, why?
    I want an AV, I know it's like a 99% chance that it won't happen but this is an expensive ass computer so I'd rather not risk the 1%.
     
  4. danvan21 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2008
    #4
    well since there are no viruses for OS X is beyond hard to get a virus, its impossible.
     
  5. Doublewire thread starter macrumors member

    Doublewire

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2008
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #5
  6. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

    PeterQC

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #6
    I'm with Dawg. You don't need an antivirus. All you're doing is burning money and using precious resources from no real thread. There's also many internet scanner that can be handy and free that can accomplish the job.
     
  7. danvan21 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2008
    #7
  8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

    r.j.s

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2007
    Location:
    Texas
    #8
  9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

    QuarterSwede

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2005
    Location:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    #9
    There isn't one OS X virus in the wild. The farthest they've come is a few trojans and you'd have to enter your password for that to do any damage anyway.

    Seriously, do yourself a favor and don't install an antivirus app. It'll just slow your Mac down for no reason.
     
  10. Doublewire thread starter macrumors member

    Doublewire

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2008
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #10
    Ok, thanks :(
     
  11. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

    PeterQC

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #11
    Hey, if you're as idiot to download "Codecs" from porn site, I think you deserve this malware.

    By the way: Trojans AREN'T Virus. Virus are caught surfing the web without you knowing, while trojans can't infect without you actually download an affected files, which won't happen if you use your head and do not download from suspicious websites.

    Your money would be best spend buying an external drive and doing backups with it. Even if caught a virus and it wipe all your hardrive, you would have just to reinstall OS X and put back your data.
     
  12. danvan21 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2008
    #12
    Also, since OS X is a unix based system they probably wont even be able to create a virus that is capable of doing the same things as windows viruses can do. OS X is the bomb
     
  13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

    QuarterSwede

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2005
    Location:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    #13
    Don't worry about it. You're new to Macs (I assume) and coming from Windows it's easy to understand why you'd think you needed an anti-virus app.
     
  14. Doublewire thread starter macrumors member

    Doublewire

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2008
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #14
    Ok, thanks all. I'm not entirely technically savvy so thanks for being gentle.
    Also, there are 2 slots for RAM on a MacBook right?>.<
     
  15. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

    PeterQC

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #15
    Yes.

    You have 2GB of rams, so you have 2 1GB sticks. If you want to upgrade ro 4GB, you'll need 2 2GB sticks of DRR3 Ram 1066MHz w/ 204pins (I think). You should ask thought before if they are right for your mac because they aren't all compatible with the new Macbooks.
     
  16. Doublewire thread starter macrumors member

    Doublewire

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2008
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #16
    Thanks, right, I'd figured that out and that's incredibly obnoxious. I wish they'd made one 2GB stick.
     
  17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #17
    Good rule of thumb: If both QuickTime and VLC can't play it, it's not worth seeing. :D
     
  18. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

    PeterQC

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #18
  19. MacDawg macrumors P6

    MacDawg

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    "Between the Hedges"
    #19
    Ain't that the truth ;)

    Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
     
  20. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2008
    Location:
    Around
    #20
    Norton will SLOW eveything down and it will drive you nuts!!!!
     
  21. shady825 macrumors 68000

    shady825

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Location:
    Area 51
    #21

    these kinds of things "trick" you into installing them. they cant get there alone.
    from the article:
    "The Trojan is found on porn websites posing as a codec needed to play video files, a technique used to trick the user into downloading and installing it."
     
  22. Doublewire thread starter macrumors member

    Doublewire

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2008
    Location:
    Los Angeles
  23. shawnpringle macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2008
    #24
    Its a trojan, and by reading this thread, you would quickly realize that it requires you to knowingly download it and enter your password.

    To the OP: No reason to worry about viruses on mac's, and even if there was one (which there isnt), just use time machine regularly and you could "go back in time".
    Remember kids, don't browse shady porn sites!

    As for the RAM, there is two slots, just buy 2 sticks of 2GB crucial ram for the MB and you are good to go. Their website is very helpful in finding out what kind of ram you need and require for specific macbooks.
    http://crucial.com/#
     
  24. daze macrumors 6502

    daze

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2006
    Location:
    San Jose, California
    #25
    While I work for an AV company, I wouldn't recommend using any AV product for the Mac platform. The cost/benefit ratio is jut not there.
     

Share This Page